FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP unknown file error

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam Daly
FCP unknown file error
on Sep 15, 2010 at 10:18:42 am

Hey, I've had a lot of problems with being unable to re-save to a file on the network. Having to Save locally and then transport to the network manually has caused a lot of problems. We're currently using version 6, has this problem been corrected in the new version, and has anyone discovered why this happens.

thanks

adam

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCP unknown file error
on Sep 15, 2010 at 2:12:54 pm

You need to give way more details about you entire setup and what you're trying to do.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 15, 2010 at 4:11:17 pm

Jeremy's right about giving details, but here's a simple question:

When was the last time you either restarted your machine or shut it down and started up again? Doing so solves a good number of minor FCP woes.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

adam Daly
on Sep 16, 2010 at 9:03:45 am

Hey,
My computer is shut down every evening after work usually so i don't think thats the problem.

I'm using Final Cut Pro 6.0.6 running on OSX 10.5.8.

The problem that occurs is simply that Final Cut will not save the file hat i'm currently working on, even if i've used it all day without any problems saving. Others have mentioned this problem on this forum and elsewhere and it seems to be a problem saving to a network. The usual workflow once this problem is encountered is to save the file locally and move it back to its network location, which is what we've being doing here and it sucks.
I've heard that drive spindown may be a cause have you heard of this?

Adam

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 16, 2010 at 9:11:08 am

[adam Daly] "I've heard that drive spindown may be a cause have you heard of this?"
This used to be an issue and there are applications preventing this.

[adam Daly] "My computer is shut down every evening after work usually so i don't think thats the problem. "
Is good to let it open at night some times. MacOSX runs some maintenance routines at night.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 16, 2010 at 3:02:30 pm

[adam Daly] "The problem that occurs is simply that Final Cut will not save the file hat i'm currently working on, even if i've used it all day without any problems saving. Others have mentioned this problem on this forum and elsewhere and it seems to be a problem saving to a network"

More details. What network? What kind of san software? More, please.

Return to posts index

adam Daly
on Sep 17, 2010 at 7:42:14 am

I'm afraid i don't know much about network stuff but i've asked around and the San software is called Storage Area Network.

adam

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 17, 2010 at 1:56:07 pm

SAN is an initialism for storage area network. That is, they are one in the same.

There is probably some sort of permissions problem. Do you have someone who administers this network? Is this a post house? School? Corporation? Where are you?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]