FORUMS: list search recent posts

editing ProRes 422

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tucker Lucas
editing ProRes 422
on Sep 14, 2010 at 8:30:26 pm

Hey everyone,

Bit of a newb when dealing with intermediate codecs. I have a brand new MacBook Pro 15inch running the latest Final Cut Suite. Currently, I shoot all of my footage onto DVCAM tapes, and I master my final product in DVCAM. What are the benefits (if there are any) of editing my footage in FCP using an Apple ProRes codec instead of just straight DV? I don't do much chroma key work, and my graphics are mostly just simple PNG's in my timeline.

-Tucker

Return to posts index

Simon Hustings
Re: editing ProRes 422
on Sep 14, 2010 at 8:58:56 pm

Hi Tucker,
Working in Prores for DVCAM footage isn't really going to give you that much extra. It just raises the ceiling for graphics and colour correction. ProRes uses a greater colour space than DVCAM so you have more room to manouver. At a push, I might transcode DVCAM to 8bit uncompressed if I need to do something special with the footage but if it's a simple cut with simple graphics and minimal colour correction, I probably won't change a thing. I usually reserve ProRes for Hi Def work.

All the best,

Simon

"Is it me or do I spend half my life watching little grey bars turn into little blue bars??"

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 14, 2010 at 9:03:49 pm

there would not be much if any gain. I would stick with a DV workflow.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 15, 2010 at 12:17:00 am

If you master to DVCAM there is no point in using ProRes or Uncompressed. Your material will look great in FCP, but when you output to tape, the deck will apply DV compression once again, and eliminate what you gained...the artifacts will return.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 15, 2010 at 2:03:34 am

That's all right if you end up in a DV tape.
In any other case there are advantages in rendering to Prores (and forcing High Precission Rendering).
Try the Nattress Chroma Smooth/Sharpening on your footage. It won't looks at it was shot in DVCam.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Tucker Lucas
on Sep 15, 2010 at 4:28:41 pm

Thanks for all the info everyone. This has been helpful!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]