FORUMS: list search recent posts

Questions regarding my workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blake Hyggen
Questions regarding my workflow
on Sep 14, 2010 at 7:31:19 pm

I am currently working in Final Cut Pro 6 and have a couple of questions regarding my workflow. I do most of my editing on a 17" MacBook Pro. The problem with this is that I only have a 32-GB hard drive on this computer. I would like to know if it would substantially slow down my workflow to capture to an external firewire800 hard drive. Can I capture directly to this drive, or is it better to capture and move my projects over after it has been captured to my external hard drive. I would like to keep things as speedy as possible, but I do not have the HardDrive space internally to work off the hard drive. Is there a better option to work with? I am sure I am not the ONLY person who edits on a laptop so I am sure this is a somewhat common problem (we don't all have Mac Pros :) :))

Thanks,
Blake

Return to posts index

Simon Hustings
Re: Questions regarding my workflow
on Sep 14, 2010 at 8:54:07 pm

Hi Blake,

Working on an external FW 800 Hard drive will only serve to increase your productivity and the reliability of your system. Wherever possible, never capture footage to your internal drive. Keep your footage and OS/applications separated. You can keep your project file on the OS drive, but I tend to keep everything on externals and just point the autosave vault to the internal drive.
I've worked like this for years with no problems.

All the best,

Simon

"Is it me or do I spend half my life watching little grey bars turn into little blue bars??"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]