FORUMS: list search recent posts

screen capture

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roy Schneider
screen capture
on Sep 14, 2010 at 7:30:19 pm

Hi All:
Not sure of the right forum for this, but since I will be editing in FCP thought this is close. I am wondering what tools you use for capturing computer screen movement. I am looking to capture the movement as I click through a specific website.

Thanks for your input, and I am sorry if there was a different place for this post.
Roy

Roy Schneider
Long Live Da Cow!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: screen capture
on Sep 14, 2010 at 8:01:09 pm

Screenflow. But you edit inside that software too...no need to go into FCP. VERY good. I have done 4 of the last 5 of my tutorials using it.

If you don't like that, then there is iShowU...Camista...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Sep 14, 2010 at 10:43:07 pm

Shane's tutorials look good.

The one thing that bugs me about Screenflow is that you cannot set a project resolution. It's limited to full screen or dedicated window capture.

What I do is capture my demo applications at 1920x1080 using iShowU. In fact for the apple Pro-Apps, I resize the application UI's to 1920x1080. I then drop the source captures into a 1280x720 FCP sequence. Now I can zoom in on the footage without affecting the original image quality. This manual FCP workflow is much more time consuming. There is lot's of rendering and a few tricks with regards to maintaining proper frame rates. I think the results are a bit better.

If you are curious about the rest of the workflow, let me know. As I said ... it's very tedious.

-paul.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 14, 2010 at 10:49:33 pm

[Paul Figgiani] "The one thing that bugs me about Screenflow is that you cannot set a project resolution. It's limited to full screen or dedicated window capture."

Incorrect. You can CROP (option on the lower left of the viewer) the window to crop to any size you want. So what I do is set my FCP windows to a size I know conforms to 1920x1080, (or 1280x720 on my laptop) and then crop the image I captured to fit that size. Or you adjust your screen resolution to as close as you can, and take note of the area you want to use.

What I LOVE about Screenflow is the ability to zoom in and out easily, without needing to render, and remain sharp. And the ability to add text and graphics and other QT files to the project without needing to render.

When I capture and edit with Screenflow, it takes me about half the time as it does with FCP, even when the file is rendered to ProRes.

But try both...they both offer demo versions.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Sep 14, 2010 at 10:52:33 pm

Cool, Shane. I will try that.

thx.

-paul.

Return to posts index

Roy Schneider
on Sep 15, 2010 at 2:04:52 am