FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing with Nanoflash footage and DVCPRO HD in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Bernstein
Editing with Nanoflash footage and DVCPRO HD in FCP
on Sep 14, 2010 at 3:46:48 pm

Howdy,
Working on a documentary. We started shooting on the HDX900 with the setting at 1080i 24p (not 24pa).
We later went to a nanoflash and shot that footage with the same camera setting and the nanoflash set to record quicktime 1080p 24p 100mb/s Long GOP.
My main question is setting up a proper workflow to edit in FCP 7.

1. Would it be best to convert all footage to Prores 422 and have a single codec to worry about?

1A. If I log and transfer the nanoflash footage to Apple's prores 422 and use my IOhd to convert the DVCPRO HD using the IOhd prores 422 setting, is there a difference between the two prores-es?

2. How do I handle, if I even need to, the pulldown? (I am new to working w/ 24p and know zippo about pulldown and its ins and outs and what have yous.)
The final output will eventually be tape, but lots of internet and dvds in between.

3. What should my timeline setting be?

Or, can both types of footage live comfortably on one timeline and if so, what timeline setting should that be?

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Editing with Nanoflash footage and DVCPRO HD in FCP
on Sep 15, 2010 at 9:33:23 pm

When editing with different codecs, I always convert to just one - usually ProRes. In your case since you already have more DVCProHD than nanoflash you might convert the nanoflash to DVCPro HD. What codec and data rate did you use with the nanoflash?

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Alan Bernstein
Re: Editing with Nanoflash footage and DVCPRO HD in FCP
on Sep 16, 2010 at 2:25:02 am

Actually, we will be shooting more via nanoflash, so a majority of the footage will have been recorded at the quicktime 1080p 24p 100mb/s long GOP codec on the nanoflash

Only a small percentage will have been shot on DVCPRO HD once all is said and done.

Anything I need to do to workflow to edit in 24p?

Thanks,
Alan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]