FORUMS: list search recent posts

Finding editing marks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Rafuse
Finding editing marks
on Sep 14, 2010 at 1:54:52 am

I imported a sequence into final cut pro, some H.264 video I have to edit, however the editing marks are gone. Is there some feature in FCP that will show me the editing points? Or do I have to mark them myself.
Thanks, Jeremy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Finding editing marks
on Sep 14, 2010 at 2:49:05 am

[Jeremy Rafuse] "I imported a sequence into final cut pro"

A SEQUENCE? From where?

[Jeremy Rafuse] "some H.264 video I have to edit"

That's FOOTAGE, not a SEQUENCE. A sequence consists of one or more media files edited together.

[Jeremy Rafuse] "however the editing marks are gone."

Media files don't contain edit points. They are single files. Are you talking about a media file that was exported? A sequence was edited, and then exported as an H.264 file? Well then, it won't have ANY edit points. Edit points aren't carried in exported QT files. You have one file.

[Jeremy Rafuse] " Is there some feature in FCP that will show me the editing points? Or do I have to mark them myself. "

Mark them yourself. But convert the H.264 to an editable format first. h.264 isn't an editing codec. Best to get the ORIGINAL source material, and original project file.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Gary Askham
Re: Finding editing marks
on Sep 14, 2010 at 10:54:17 am

As Shane says you need to change it to something other than h.264.

(is there a way to put a huge banner across this website saying "h.264 is not an editing codec!!")

There is an application called Scene Detector that will analyse your video and cut it up for you. I have never tried it and don't know if it's any good... but that's what it says it'll do.

http://scene-detector.com/

------------------------
FCP and Avid Technical Support
Air Post Production
Shoreditch - London

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]