FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT Chuckle: Avid Introduces Software-Only Version of Avid DS

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Carey
OT Chuckle: Avid Introduces Software-Only Version of Avid DS
on Sep 13, 2010 at 2:29:00 pm

Yeah... I know... This is way off topic but I thought I would post this anyway.

I read a press release from Avid on the new Avid DS Software Only option for post houses and broadcast facilities that gives them an affordable option to use Avid. Well.... Look at the pricing... This is a direct quote from the press release:

Avid DS 10.5 software will be available beginning October 21, 2010. Pricing begins at $6995 USD for educational institutions and $9995 USD for professional licenses and each comes standard with a copy of Media Composer® 5 software. DS 10.5 is recommended for use with the HP Z800 workstation series and can be purchased as a turnkey system for an additional cost.

WOW! Since when did $10,000 + an HP Z800 Workstation become an affordable option. This option makes Avid DS about the same as Final Cut Pro with the exception of pricing. For $9000 less, you can STILL do more than Avid with less complexity.

I just found this kinda amusing and had to share with all of you... Before anyone gets bent out of shape, I'm not bashing Avid or saying that Avid DS is inferior to FCP. I just find it amusing that they think that $10,000 is affordable to everyone.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: OT Chuckle: Avid Introduces Software-Only Version of Avid DS
on Sep 13, 2010 at 3:06:20 pm

[Wayne Carey] "WOW! Since when did $10,000 + an HP Z800 Workstation become an affordable option. "

Since the software normally cost around $95,000. Or was it $125,000? I forget...up there. WAY up there.

[Wayne Carey] " This option makes Avid DS about the same as Final Cut Pro with the exception of pricing."

Hardly. An Avid DS has capabilities that FCP lacks. The integration with Interplay, and Media Composer and ProTools being but one, graphics being another. It's a rock solid app.

SOFTWARE ONLY...I question that decision. Part of what makes it so powerful is the hardware.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Sep 13, 2010 at 3:13:44 pm

[Shane Ross] "Since the software normally cost around $95,000. Or was it $125,000? I forget...up there. WAY up there."

Oh yeah... I agree wit you completely, Shane. I'm not knocking the Avid in any way but it looks like they are trying to compete with FCS 3 and a $9000 difference is still hard to swallow for lots of folks.

[Shane Ross] "SOFTWARE ONLY...I question that decision. Part of what makes it so powerful is the hardware."

This is very true. What made Avid so much better was the hardware. But you did know that AJA makes alot of the hardware for Avid. I'm not saying all of it, but the capture part is made by AJA (or was).

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 13, 2010 at 4:52:45 pm

I don't think this meant to compete with FCP. I think they're going after Autodesk Smoke on Mac, which is software-only and starts at $15k.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 13, 2010 at 3:47:05 pm

[Shane Ross] "SOFTWARE ONLY...I question that decision. Part of what makes it so powerful is the hardware."

I think it's a brilliant decision. Part of what makes Davinci so powerful is the hardware. But the $999 software only version sparked a lot of interest and in just running it here on our Mac Pro, it's a very powerful software option.

At least a software only option of Avid would allow us to put it into the shop for those times when we would actually need it, like migrating projects from one platform to the other and such. Or an editor wants to use our shop and cut in Avid instead of FCP.

I think it's good for everybody.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]