FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final cut save and render errors!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zack Delman
Final cut save and render errors!
on Sep 12, 2010 at 8:47:33 pm

I am editing a trailer for a client. I am using a 500gb external drive. Everything has been good for the past few days, but this morning i started getting a couple of errors.

whenever i try to save, it says: "Error: out of disk space." i cleared out my autosave vault and tried again. no dice. i double checked and my capture scratch is correct.

whenever i try to render even the smallest of files, it says: "Insufficient disk space. Free up space with render manager and try again?" i cleared out my render files (which were over 30gb) and tried again. still, no dice. my capture scratch is set correctly.

the most confusing part of this is that even though i have now cleared out over 40gb of space on the drive, when i hit "get info" it tells me there are only 114.2 mb of free space. no matter how much stuff i delete, it always tells me there are 114.2 mb free.

i'm trying to get a cut finished by tomorrow but i can't keep working until i sort these problems out. any help would be much appreciated.

thanks!

-zack

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Final cut save and render errors!
on Sep 12, 2010 at 9:03:27 pm

Tried restarting the computer and trashing preferences?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

DVD:http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Zack Delman
on Sep 12, 2010 at 9:25:18 pm

thanks for the reply, jerry.

yea, restarting and deleting the preferences did not fix the problem.

i copied my original project file to the desktop and set the autosave vault and render scratches to my desktop as well. so for now i can work off of that. i guess when it comes time to return the drive, i will simply copy those folders back over onto the hard drive and hope it works out.

still, i would like to find out what is wrong here...

Return to posts index

Dan Monro
on Sep 12, 2010 at 10:26:14 pm

Zack, dumb question, but you did empty the trash, right?

What happens if you do a get info on individual folders on the drive? Can you find one that's suspiciously large?

Also, can you run Disk Warrior or some such on the external?

Sorry I can't be of more help; good luck.
D

Dan Monro
FCP, Avid, AfterFX, Atlanta
MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 4 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.6.4
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Final Cut Pro 7 Quicktime 7.6.6
- OR -
2 x 3.2 Quad Xeon; 16 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.6.4
NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 Final Cut Pro 7.0.2 Quicktime 7.6.6

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 12, 2010 at 11:29:27 pm

Bad idea to have the render media on the system drive.

Return to posts index

Zack Delman
on Sep 13, 2010 at 12:08:55 am

not a dumb question at all, dan! in fact, that was the simple solution.

see, i'm a windows guy and i don't have much experience with macs...the people i'm working for right now only use final cut though so i've had to adapt to the mac interface...it figures that i would overlook such a simple yet important rule!

thanks!

-zack

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Sep 13, 2010 at 11:05:56 am

Is that errant disk formatted Mac OS extended?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

DVD:http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]