FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cliping in audio/video in FCP sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pedro Saboya Burgos
Cliping in audio/video in FCP sequence
on Sep 11, 2010 at 11:02:08 pm

Hi! I've been working with FCP for about 2 years now and I've been facing some problems with FCP in my main workplace (I've worked in my own computer and other post production studios without having this problem) with playbacking material I'm editing: the audio clips and video plays kind of sloppy, sometimes when I restart FCP it solves it, sometimes only when I restart the computer. Anyways it's annoying.

At first I blamed workflow issues, since we sometimes worked with 2 or more different compressed media in the same sequence, but now I've worked to make everything right, pre-converted all the material to the same Apple ProRes before importing it. The problem remains.

Technical stuff:
I've checked all the sequence settings according to the media I'm working with (it was captured with Canon 7d and 5dm2, but,as said before, I converted it all to AppleProRes 422(HQ) before importing).

I'm using a MacPro with 2x 2.8ghz quad core, 6GB RAM, OsX up to date, Final Cut Pro 7.0.2, even tho I've noticed this issue since I worked with FCP 6.

Any help? =)

Pedro Saboya Burgos
Assistant Video Editor
Video Editor

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Cliping in audio/video in FCP sequence
on Sep 11, 2010 at 11:36:35 pm

First off, ProRes HQ is overkill for that format. That codec is intended for HIGH END acquisition formats, and CANON DSLR doesn't fit into that category. RED, AVCINTRA...10-bit formats. The H.264 files the Canon does is 8-bit and highly compressed. ProRes 422 or even ProRes LT is fine. Now you have HUGE files that take up more space than they need to.

A wise man once told me, if you pour a bottle of beer into a keg, you still only have a bottle of beer. But now it takes up the entire fridge.

But that's neither here nor there...that's for FUTURE projects. And if people throw that "But we want EVERY OUNCE of quality we can get" or "ProRes HQ is better quality than ProRes 422," Just repeat the beer analogy. Yes, having a keg is better than having a bottle of beer. But when the quantity is the same, there really is no point. It doesn't IMPROVE the quality of the image...the QUANTITY of quality. It just is bigger.

Now, the main issue. Have you trashed the preferences? Where is the footage stored?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Pedro Saboya Burgos
on Sep 12, 2010 at 3:15:25 am

Hi!
I was kind of aware that Apple ProRes HQ was overkill, but since I wasn't 100% sure I decided to use it, thanks for that advice. What I thought at the time was "when in doubt, better to have more than less". Your beer analogy is still better than mine, but given my actual knowledge on the subject of Apple ProRes, mine was safe, I mean, since one doesn't know how much a bottle and the keg can store, one don't want to waste beer, right?

Now again on the main subject, I've already thrashed the preferences, I'm using a separate, internal, hard drive with 6tb (2,5 tb available) for the footage and all the FCS apps are at the main "macintosh HD".

Thanks, and sorry for any english mistakes

Pedro Saboya Burgos
Assistant Video Editor
Video Editor

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 12, 2010 at 1:01:11 pm

When transiting to ProRes you also need to change the audio settings do the audio is trancoded to 48khz.

Return to posts index

Pedro Saboya Burgos
on Sep 12, 2010 at 11:40:05 pm

I did it for the video files, but now I'm thinking there might be aiffs (recorded during the capture) that may have passed through me without my noticing... Sometimes it gets messy to work with another editor when organizing projects, specially since I'm not very experienced...

I'll check it out tomorrow and post back here!
Thanks, David

Pedro Saboya Burgos
Assistant Video Editor
Video Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]