FORUMS: list search recent posts

frame rate

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Desay
frame rate
on Sep 10, 2010 at 12:38:03 pm

Hi Guys,

A quick question for ya...I use the Sony Z5U.Up until now i have been recording in 25p mode just because i prefer the look of progressive footage.I recently discovered that if you want good slo mo,it is a good trick to record at 50 fps(PAL),capture footage to FCP,open clip up in Cinema Tools and convert clip to 25fps.However,when i change my recording mode from 1080i25p to 1080i50 in camera,anytime i capture footage to FCP the frame rate imports at 25fps and not 50fps.My Audio/Video Settings are as follows..

Sequence Preset: HDV-1080i50

Capture Preset: HDV

Device Control Preset: HDV FireWire 50fps.

Any idea what i'm doing wrong-checked my cameras manual just to double chech and it says the camera can record at 50fps once its in interlaced mode...

Cheers,

john.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: frame rate
on Sep 10, 2010 at 1:09:49 pm

[John Desay] "A quick question for ya...I use the Sony Z5U.Up until now i have been recording in 25p mode just because i prefer the look of progressive footage.I recently discovered that if you want good slo mo,it is a good trick to record at 50 fps(PAL),capture footage to FCP,open clip up in Cinema Tools and convert clip to 25fps."
This may work, but think that you are getting a frame from each field of the original footage. You have no control about how the in-between lines are rebuilt.
The proper way is to make a p50 movie from the i50. Then Conform (CinemaTools) the p50 to p25 to get the slow motion. The best tool to get this is Re-Vision FieldsKit. You can get a good job done with Compressor as well.

[John Desay] "However,when i change my recording mode from 1080i25p to 1080i50 in camera,anytime i capture footage to FCP the frame rate imports at 25fps and not 50fps.My Audio/Video Settings are as follows.."
I guess you mean "from 1080p25 to 1080i50".
In both cases you have "25 frames per second".
The first are Progressive and the second Interlaced.
Think as well that even the p25 is Progressive, is recorded and captured as i50 Interlaced); is what is call Psf.
You need to pick the manual and read about those matters.
Rafael
You need to

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 10, 2010 at 3:56:49 pm

1080i PAL is 25fps. 1080p25...1080i50... both 25fps. P means PROGRESSIVE, so full frames. I means INTERLACED...that's 50 FIELDS per second, two fields per second...25fps.

720p50...THAT'S 50fps. That is the format you record to get 50fps that you can slow down to 25fps slow motion. But your camera doesn't have that option. And if you convert 1080i50 to 50 frames per second, you will be converting each field into a frame...but losing half your resolution in the process.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Desay
on Sep 11, 2010 at 1:52:34 am

Thanks Shane,

you've solved my riddle...and made me want to go out and buy the Sony EX3!!!

Cheers for your time,

john.

Return to posts index

Jeff Mueller
on Sep 12, 2010 at 8:35:10 pm

I frequently shoot "poor man's" slo mo with my Canon XLH1. I'm in NTSC land so I shoot my "normal" stuff 24p and my slow mo stuff 1080 60i. I get great results.

HOWEVER, it MUST be recorded on a separate tape from the 24p stuff in order to transfer correctly over Firewire, AND I convert the slow mo footage from 60i to 24p in After Effects, then bring it into my 24p timeline. AE does a great job interpolating the missing frames and no layman could tell the difference. The process is a bit of a pain, but the results are stellar.

Jeff Mueller
http://www.ApertureVideos.com
Santa Barbara, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]