FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deleting unused media - keeping the clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shannon Bedford
Deleting unused media - keeping the clips
on Sep 9, 2010 at 8:33:11 am

Hi there, it's time to clear out some space on my hard drive for the first time. I've watched the tutorials, I've read the manual, I've created a test project to give it a go, but Media Manager just doesn't seem to be doing what I want!

Here's what I'm hoping to do..

The Project: I would like to keep my project in it's current location and delete all the media not used in my final sequences.
Unused Clips: I want to delete the media from these, but keep the off-line clips just in case I need to redigitise and make a fresh version of this video at a later date.
Whole tapes: In many of my projects I have digitised the entire tape, but only need to keep the pieces that made it to final edit.

Here's what I tried..
I selected all finished sequences in the project.
Use existing media, delete unused media from selected, existing names.

None of the clips in my browser have gone offline. Clips used in the sequences seem to have been kept in their entirety, I was hoping the unused portions of clips would go offline.

Media Manager looks like a great tool, particularly those little green graphs. Can anyone help me get started?
Cheers

S Bedford, Western Australia

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Deleting unused media - keeping the clips
on Sep 9, 2010 at 10:06:39 am

Hi Shannon,
In "Media", you need to set COPY. The portion of the clips in your sequence will be copied to the location that you set. You can set handles.
In "Project", you have to set "Duplicate existing items and place in to. a new Project".
Once you have checked that the new project works, you need to delete the original media.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 9, 2010 at 11:23:49 pm

One thing that freaks people out is the way Media Manager uses the term "delete unused media". It actually means make new clips with just the portion used in the sequence (plus handles should you choose to do so). So as Rafael says, make a copy to a new folder with "delete unused media" (plus handles) and then you can delete the old folder. That leaves just the final project plus media with shots split up + handles. This does work and crunches down to the bare minimum.

Thankfully it doesn't actually delete any media when you use this option as most of us don't want that behaviour. So it is working correctly but is poorly understood as its descriptor is crap.

Return to posts index

Shannon Bedford
on Sep 10, 2010 at 2:19:19 am

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I've given it a test but the problem is, it's not allowing me to keep the empty clips.
My aim is to finish with a project in which the unused clips still appear in the browser but with media offline. This would enable me to go back and batch digitise those unused clips if I need to make a different version of the video in the future.

Perhaps media manager is not the best tool for what I am trying to do. Is there a way to show or select all unused clips in a project? And if so, once I have selected all the unused clips, can I delete the media from those within FCP?

I have another question regarding what you said about going back and deleting the original media. When I delete a project, do I have to go into my Capture Scratch and Render folders and delete the appropriate folders? Would I need to delete anything in the other folders such as waveform cache?

Cheers,

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 10, 2010 at 2:57:26 am

[Shannon Bedford] "'ve given it a test but the problem is, it's not allowing me to keep the empty clips."

Just keep the original project file as well. You can batch digitize the clips later, if you need them.

Return to posts index

Shannon Bedford
on Sep 10, 2010 at 3:05:54 am

Great! I'm really getting somewhere now. My hard drive is going to be very happy by the end of today.

Could you please also answer my other question above about deleting the media?

Thanks heaps

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 10, 2010 at 3:06:21 am

The advantage of MM creating a new project with just the online media is that you don't get the nag screen telling you there is offline media every time. As John said, the original project file gives you all your original logged and captured media which should always be backed up as well.

I only delete capture scratch and render files. They are the biggies. I haven't been fussed with thumbnail and waveform caches.

Return to posts index

Shannon Bedford
on Sep 10, 2010 at 3:23:35 am

"The advantage of MM creating a new project with just the online media is that you don't get the nag screen telling you there is offline media every time."

I kinda like the nag screen - it screams "Drive Space!" something we all crave. But, keeping the original project without media is a great solution - don't know why I didn't think of that.

Thanks everyone, you guys are fantastic. If you weren't on the other side of the world I'd give you all something from my chocolate drawer.

Cheers,
Shannon

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 10, 2010 at 4:25:43 am

I am in Tasmania, but I guess WA is on the other side of the world even to most Australians :)

Return to posts index

Shannon Bedford
on Sep 10, 2010 at 7:18:07 am

Ahh I should have recognised your photo.

Still, you are from overseas which makes you exotic.

-Sandgroper

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]