FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD Capture time is just...insane!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Harnick
AVCHD Capture time is just...insane!
on Sep 9, 2010 at 2:44:44 am

I have a Sony HDR-SR11, and one of my shooters has a newer pro AVCHD camera (I think it's the HXR-NX5U). The other day he shot a 1 hour program for me - his card has 5 files totaling about 9G's worth of material. It took over 12 HOURS to import into my system...and the finished file-size was 50G+. I typically have the same horrendous situation with my camcorder also - the finished decompressed files are huge, and take absolutely forever to import. Once imported, they work great, no issues, no jumpiness, no problems working with them on the timeline at all. But the amount of time it requires to import is just ludicrous.

I'm not using the fastest Macs in the world, no - an iMac with a core 2 duo 2.4 GHz, and a macbook with about the same...but this is nuts, isn't it? Does matter if I'm going to the system drive or an external USB 7200 RPM drive - the results are identical. I'm guessing it's my log and transfer settings are skewed somehow, but I'm not sure where to start. Whatever settings are used are the default settings, I never changed anything. Any assistance would be really appreciated.

Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: AVCHD Capture time is just...insane!
on Sep 9, 2010 at 2:56:08 am

The AVCHD format that the NX5 employs is a slightly different one than the standard. Because of this, FCP chokes on any clip over 10 min long. Fault of Sony, not FCP.

Use CLIPWRAP2. That not only speeds up the process, but will also bring in the timecode that the camera records.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matthew Harnick
on Sep 9, 2010 at 3:02:31 am

Shane - I appreciate that. Any suggestion on which settings to use in L&T? I wish to get the most out of the video and audio - I just checked the settings and did have it set to Matrix Audio? That's now stereo. Even with my camcorder I have the same lengthy issue when importing footage - I can't imagine why/how anyone would want to employ AVCHD with FCP.

I have two Z5U's that I love, and frankly with this kind of long-form shooting, I can't see any way that I'd want to go tapeless anytime soon with that kind of issue, it would kill me.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 9, 2010 at 4:03:53 am

[Matthew Harnick] "Even with my camcorder I have the same lengthy issue when importing footage - I can't imagine why/how anyone would want to employ AVCHD with FCP."

AVCHD from Panasonic pro cameras is pretty flawless. The camera you are using is a consumer one. Consumer cameras aren't always the best.

I think someone found that shooting with audio in a certain configuration is what causes that issue. I'll have to search for it.

Shane

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 9, 2010 at 6:57:42 am

Ahhh...it is if you record AVCHD with PCM audio:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-hxr-nx5u/474960-nxcam-how-keep-avchd...

Shane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]