FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matching easy setup to video file

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Portugheis
Matching easy setup to video file
on Sep 9, 2010 at 12:37:27 am

Hi everyone, I've been looking for an answer to my problem everywhere, with no results!

My project is simple:

I want to replace the audio of one video with the audio of another one, while keeping the same video quality.

I couldn't find software that does this exactly so I decided to do it in Final Cut.

I might add that this is my first time editing video in Final Cut. I'm using version 7 and my problem is that I can't play the video without having to render it all (which takes apparently more than 3 hours) and I have to do the same with 5 more videos of the same size, plus the other 6 with the second audio which I need to use.

So, I know now that I have to match the easy setup to my video file, which uses the Divx 5 codec, but I just can't find it in the long list of compressors. The file is .avi, and I read somewhere that it would be solved by converting to mov, which I did using Quicktime but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I also saw a video where it says that Final Cut automatically tells you that the settings don't match the video and corrects it by itself, this of course, isn't happening.

So how can I solve this? Why can't I just insert any video and play? When I solve the issue with one video what's going to happen when I add the second one (which uses a different codec) on the same sequence?

Thanks a lot for your help!
David Portugheis - Film Composer

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Matching easy setup to video file
on Sep 9, 2010 at 1:07:27 am

Final Cut is an editing program built around quicktime and certain edit codecs. AVI is sub optimal as a wrapper compared to .mov. However codecs like divx which are mpeg4 variants cannot be edited natively in the timeline. FCP will only change the sequence settings to match edit codecs.

There must be programs that let you merge audio from one AVI to video from another and create a new AVI divx, but FCP isn't one of them.

Return to posts index

David Portugheis
on Sep 9, 2010 at 1:13:55 am

Well that's a shame... :(

What happens to people who want to edit divx videos in Mac? They have to install windows on it?

Is there a good editing program for mac that just opens anything?

Return to posts index

Dan Monro
on Sep 9, 2010 at 1:56:40 am

"What happens to people who want to edit divx videos in Mac?"

I would convert them into ProRes first...

Dan Monro
FCP, Avid, AfterFX, Atlanta
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.5.8
GeForce 8600M GT Final Cut Pro 7.0 Quicktime 7.6.6
- OR -
2 x 3.2 Quad Xeon; 16 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.6.4
NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 Final Cut Pro 7.0.2 Quicktime 7.6.6

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 9, 2010 at 2:08:30 am

[David Portugheis] "What happens to people who want to edit divx videos in Mac? They have to install windows on it?
Is there a good editing program for mac that just opens anything?"

Don't blame FC, but the crappy codec you are using. Divex is a delivery codec not designed to be re-edited.
Try rewrapping the AVI file as QT with MPGStreamclip (Save as..).
Then you can try QT Pro to replace the audio (Add to movie) without altering the picture.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Dan Monro
on Sep 9, 2010 at 1:54:33 am

Hey David, do they have to remain .avi? I would suggest converting them all to say ProRes 422 in compressor before you edit them. I'm not familiar with Divx 5, but I try to convert everything that's not an edit codec to begin with before hand to save myself rendering time. Once you've got it edited, you can always convert back. But look into Michael's suggestion, too. Doesn't Windows make some kind of .avi editor?

Good luck,
D

Dan Monro
FCP, Avid, AfterFX, Atlanta
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.5.8
GeForce 8600M GT Final Cut Pro 7.0 Quicktime 7.6.6
- OR -
2 x 3.2 Quad Xeon; 16 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.6.4
NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 Final Cut Pro 7.0.2 Quicktime 7.6.6

Return to posts index

David Portugheis
on Sep 9, 2010 at 3:30:48 am

@ Rafael

I don't blame FC, I think it's a great program with amazing tools, I only wish it was more versatile and intuitive, it took me ages just to realize that I couldn't even add a divx file to the sequence...

And I can't just swap the audio from one video to another, I need to make some small timing adjustments so I need an editor.

@ Dan

Ok I'm trying this now, to convert with compressor, I hope it works :)

Thanks to everyone!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 9, 2010 at 4:20:53 am

[David Portugheis] " it took me ages just to realize that I couldn't even add a divx file to the sequence..."
You should have just had a look to the FCs supported formats.
You can try bring your clip to FC, make the sound adjustments and export ONLY AUDIO.
then try to add the new audio in QT (Add).
Another solution may be to transcode the clip to 8b Uncompress (better than Prores). This will extract all the information from your files (8b/420) without further re-compression till the final export.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

David Portugheis
on Sep 9, 2010 at 5:24:32 am

Rafael, you are a genius! The Copy and Add audio option in Quicktime is amazing!

I couldn't do the adjustments in FC because I needed to make really subtle sync issues and without being able to properly play back the video this was impossible. But, I realized I could do it in Logic Pro, extracting the audio from one movie, then using it on top of the other (they all opened fine without problem) to syncronize it, then exporting the audio and adding it with Quicktime.

It worked perfectly, the quality is maintained and so is the filesize!

Thanks!!! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]