FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ballooning file sizes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Allen
Ballooning file sizes
on Sep 8, 2010 at 3:18:35 pm

I have a strange problem. At our film archive, we capture standard definition video from a DigiBeta deck to Final Cut 7.0.2, through a Matrox MXO2 box, as "Matrox MXO2 - Uncompressed NTSC 8-bit 48 kHz".

Up until the last few months, our resulting file sizes would be roughly 1.33 GB per minute. Now, they've suddenly jumped to being 3 - 4 GB per minute. The settings are the same. The software is the same. The hardware is the same. I can't see any difference, except for the ballooning size of the files. (And no, the video doesn't look twice as good 8^). We have had ongoing problems with dropped frames and freezing FCP windows, but these pre-date this issue, and they (usually) go away after re-booting/scrapping preferences.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Scott Allen

2.66 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
8 GB memory

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Ballooning file sizes
on Sep 8, 2010 at 4:41:55 pm

Trash FCP preferences. Uninstall and reinstall Matrox drivers...get the latest ones.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Scott Allen
on Sep 8, 2010 at 8:41:54 pm

[Shane Ross] "Trash FCP preferences. Uninstall and reinstall Matrox drivers...get the latest ones"

Thanks. The FCP prefs have been trashed (many times), but we haven't tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Matrox drivers. We have the latest ones.

If that doesn't work, I'm thinking about re-installing Final Cut, or even the Mac OS itself.

Scott

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 8, 2010 at 5:00:26 pm

[Scott Allen] "we capture standard definition video from a DigiBeta deck to Final Cut 7.0.2, through a Matrox MXO2 box, as "Matrox MXO2 - Uncompressed NTSC 8-bit 48 kHz". "

Time to start using ProRes my friend. 8-bit uncompressed is 20th century technology...

Return to posts index

Scott Allen
on Sep 8, 2010 at 8:37:44 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Time to start using ProRes my friend. 8-bit uncompressed is 20th century technology..."

Well, while I'm all for using this century's technology (8^), we're pretty concerned about using either uncompressed, or losslessly compressed codecs. I read conflicting things about ProRes and compression. "Visually lossless" is great for display, distribution, etc, but for archiving, that doesn't promote total confidence.

Are any of the high-end ProRes codecs truly lossless? Also, what about either jpeg 2000 or photo-jpeg? My current boss seems pretty high on these, but each seem to have their own issues, either with compression or functionality within Final Cut.

Thanks,
Scott

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 8, 2010 at 10:20:05 pm

ProRes is 10-bit. Uncompressed 8-bit is...well...8-bit. You will have less compression artifacts with ProRes 422 than you will with uncompressed 8-bit. It is a VERY EFFICIENT compressed codec. Like Avid's DNxHD line. Perfect for ARCHIVING. Since uncompressed is so large. Unless you want to archive and be able to give that to multiple-edit systems. Then Photo JPEG would be the answer, but you can't capture directly to that format.

Do this. Capture a clip as 8-bit UC...then the same clip as ProRes 422. Look at the footage, with your eye, on the scopes. Judge for yourself how this codec holds up.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]