FORUMS: list search recent posts

Extending an edit in the MIDDLE of a sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson Goforth
Extending an edit in the MIDDLE of a sequence
on Sep 7, 2010 at 5:39:43 pm

I'll do my best to describe my problem.

I'm in the middle of a sequence and have slid a clip such that it has now cut off the end of the action (I needed to have more at the beginning). I could slip or slide the next clip, and the next, etc. though the whole sequence, but that seems absurd. I actually want to change the length of the clip I'm working on. Effectively I want to extend the clip by 30 frames, pushing the next clip by the same number, rather than cutting into either one.

I could remove that clip, then re-insert it with a corrected length, but this seems like something that there would be a command or function for. None of the commands I'm aware of will do this. What am I missing?

Thank you,
Nelson

Red Camera Production, Denver Colorado. 303.506.2456
http://www.rockymountain4k.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Extending an edit in the MIDDLE of a sequence
on Sep 7, 2010 at 5:59:20 pm

Two ways. You can go into TRIM MODE and trim only the outgoing clip, that's the TAIL of the clip you want to extend. That will push everything else down the way.

Or.

You can press T four times. TTTT. This gets you a double arrow pointing to the right. Click on the first clip you want to move...everything to the right is chosen, and you can move everything downstream 30 seconds. or more. then make your edit, and bring it back.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nelson Goforth
on Sep 7, 2010 at 6:21:21 pm

Shane - thank you. The Trim mode was just right, though I'm going to try the "four Ts" (funny, that term has entirely different meaning to a camera and lighting guy) just so I know it.

I did notice that, in the Trim mode, FCP wants to default to the Roll tool, which changes the edit point on both clips just as in normal use. I can make it use the Ripple tool, which does the job I want, but it's difficult to hit the trim window in just the right spot to make it show up. I know that's an odd description, but when I place my cursor on the left-hand window's timeline it shows the Roll tool icon. If I move it around a bit it (mere pixels - I'm on a MacBook Pro) it changes into the Ripple tool.

In any case, I made it work and that's a good thing to know. I appreciate the help.

Nelson

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 8, 2010 at 3:18:44 am

In trim mode simply select which side you want to trim by clicking on the left or right side of the window.

Can't you just ripple the whole timeline, though? Hit r for ripple tool, select side of cut you want to extend and drag. You might have to rearrange a few clips underneath if you are rippling a top layer.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 8, 2010 at 4:27:31 am

Isn't that the roll tool? It's only happens to ripple if you hold shift and put it on the right or left and just roll out one side.

That's what I use. Just the R tool in the timeline and add shift to roll just one side. Haven't ever been a fan of trim mode in Avid or FCP. Don't see the point. It's not visual in the slightest, and unlike Avid, doing it on the fly to the audio isn't very accurate. Just press R and go.

And the TTTT is a lot of clicks. I use T, then hold shift. That lets you toggle between T and TTTT.

Bret Williams
Web Design . Motion Graphics . Video Editing
http://www.bretwilliams.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 8, 2010 at 4:42:56 am

Sorry, roll is rr, not just r.

So, rr, then select which side and drag.

Like this:

Is that not what you need, Nelson?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Nelson Goforth
on Sep 11, 2010 at 4:24:57 am

Jeremy - yes, that works very well, and is even simpler than the "Trim Edit" feature (for this purpose).

I'd only learned the ripple (rr) tool as a deletion tool, assuming that the way that the... whatever it is, the cute little handle of film... pointed toward what the tool would affect - but it ripples an extension as well. Thanks for the video explanation as well.

As with many good tools, there's more than one way to solve a problem.

Nelson

Red Camera Production, Denver Colorado. 303.506.2456
http://www.rockymountain4k.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]