FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicktime Chroma on Black and White Footage?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tristan Kneschke
Quicktime Chroma on Black and White Footage?
on Sep 7, 2010 at 3:16:51 pm

Hey guys, there is something that has been driving me crazy recently that I'm wondering if you could shed light on. I work with several fashion clients, who often like to concept pieces in black and white. After desaturating using the 3-way color corrector, the Final Cut export when played in Quicktime shows color information. This is proven by moving the color slider left and right in the A/V controls. Is this a Quicktime issue or something I'm overlooking? How do I get past this, beyond saving modifying it in Quicktime Pro??

I've posted a small example of one such project: http://www.exitedit.com/files/viktorchroma.mov

Thanks!

Tristan

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Quicktime Chroma on Black and White Footage?
on Sep 7, 2010 at 3:33:52 pm

[Tristan Kneschke] "This is proven by moving the color slider left and right in the A/V control"
Hi Tristan,
Which A/V control do you mean.
Eliminate the Chroma in a picture is not any science when in YUV. Just make U and V = 0 (Cb = Cr = 128).
There are some other option to desaturate in FC.
Anyway, the 3-W CC is a very poor tool to get a good B&W.
You may try Magic Bullet Looks.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Tristan Kneschke
on Sep 7, 2010 at 11:24:11 pm

Rafael,

I was referring to the A/V controls when you hit command-K in Quicktime Pro. There seems to be a cyan/magenta tint...which as I read up on YUV means both positive U and V values. So maybe as you desaturate in the 3-way it still retains the color information?

The reason I'm employing the 3-way CC is to have a more efficient workflow with Color as it retains your 3-way settings...as far as I know it is the only effect that carries over.

Thanks for the explanation, it's helped me to understand where the issue may be coming from. Any other info you have would be helpful.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 8, 2010 at 2:36:06 am

Hi Tristan,
The FC's Scope may help you to detect if there is any remaining Chroma. Left-click to show "Saturation".
Definitively you will be easier to scope it Color.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 8, 2010 at 3:57:15 am

[Tristan Kneschke] "I was referring to the A/V controls when you hit command-K in Quicktime Pro. "

I can name that tune in 5 notes. ;)

What version of everything are you on?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tristan Kneschke
on Sep 12, 2010 at 2:51:30 pm

Jeremy,

I'm on Final Cut 7.0.2, Mac 10.6.4, Quicktime 7.6.6 (I have 10 but like 7 better) and Color 1.5.2.

Rafael,

When in the scopes the chroma does disappear on the vectorscope if you completely desaturate using the 3-way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]