FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP V AVID - Multiple Clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Glenister
FCP V AVID - Multiple Clips
on Sep 7, 2010 at 12:25:29 pm

Hi,

Can someone please tell me if grouping clips in Avid is the same as using multiclip in FCP?

I'm working in FCP on a music video and have about 100 clips. I spoke to an editor last week who said you could group all thess clips in AVID so that you can compare the clips. Is this the same as using multiclip in FCP, or is there another way, because i don't tend to use multiclip if i have more than 16 clips to sync... and even that's a nightmare.

Thanks
Mark

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: FCP V AVID - Multiple Clips
on Sep 7, 2010 at 12:45:06 pm

It's very similar to FCP, but has some functional differences. they each have capabilities and limitations not present in thex other.
While it's possible to group banks of cameras together on Avid, I doubt any system would have the horsepower to play 100 streams simultaneously, if that's what you are asking.

Return to posts index

Mark Glenister
on Sep 7, 2010 at 12:56:02 pm

Thanks John,

I'm not really necessarily looking to play the camera's simultaneously, but it would be handy to just select say a 10 sec chunk and quickly flick between the cameras as i understand you can with AVID?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Sep 7, 2010 at 1:03:57 pm

Check out "Mastering Multicamera Techniques" by Mitch Jacobson

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Mark Glenister
on Sep 7, 2010 at 1:06:37 pm

That sounds brilliant, thank you.

While I wait for that to arrive, has anyone got a quick bit of advice?

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 7, 2010 at 1:27:33 pm

I've done a great deal of multicam on both Avid and FCP (sports, entertainment, reality, concerts). Never tried anything with 100 sources.

Its certainly possible to group that many clips on both Avid and FCP, though it would be a bit unruly, at least for me

In FCP, multiclips can have a maximum of 128 angles, but only the first 16 can be played back in real time. Not in front of an Avid right now, but its capabilities are similar.

Return to posts index

matthew bradshaw
on Sep 7, 2010 at 2:01:38 pm

Hi Mark, just to clarify, do you really mean that you have 100 clips (angles) of the same piece of action? Or do you mean you have 100 clips which come from several different angles? It would make a BIG difference.
Matt.

Return to posts index

Mark Glenister
on Sep 7, 2010 at 2:10:12 pm

a mixture of both, there around about 7 different looks, and various looks have been shot 3/4 times, by 2/3 cameras, and they all sync up by pips at the start of the song.

So essentially it would be nice to flick through all the clips at the same point in the song to see which looks best if you know what I mean. Proabably more useful toward the middle of the edit, but would still be useful to know i think. Currently i'm editing each of the looks separately and combining them later as i usually do.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]