FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proper FCPS3 config on new 2010 Mac Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marshall Thompson
Proper FCPS3 config on new 2010 Mac Pro
on Sep 5, 2010 at 3:40:22 am

Hi, all, I saved up my project pennies and took delivery of a beautiful mid-2010 8-core Mac Pro last week: 2 x 2.4 quad chips, 12 GB Apple ram, 5770 graphics and then spent about two days reloading my software including FCPS2 and then the FCPS3 updates. I discovered that my 1-year old Sonnet PCI 4-pot esata card would not fit - not PCIe, duh - so temporarily am using FW800 to hook up several G-technology raids: 3 TB and a new 4TB. I have ordered a G-tech PCIe esata card from B & H. My observation is that the increase in speed is not that much over my old G-5 so I am thinking I have an obvious error in configuration somewhere that I have failed to ID. The FCP were clean installs but I did migrate some other software thru the OSX. Any thoughts on the bottleneck? This thing should be a screamer, IMHO. Thanks a million!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Proper FCPS3 config on new 2010 Mac Pro
on Sep 5, 2010 at 3:49:00 am

[Marshall Thompson] "spent about two days reloading my software including FCPS2 and then the FCPS3 updates. "
You don't need to install FC2. Install FC3 directly.
After all the installing, run DiskWarrior, TechTools or similar, otherwise your system will be a mess.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Marshall Thompson
on Sep 5, 2010 at 4:01:42 pm

Thanks Zane and Rafael. So when I was first going to load the FCPS3 upgrade on a new system, the ENTIRE Final cut program is there? I thought I had to load the old one first because it is an "upgrade package" altho it had all the discs. Should I do a total wipe-out and fresh install on everything for best results? i really want all the goodness this box can deliver. Thanks you guys.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 5, 2010 at 4:15:39 pm

Hi Marshall,
The upgrade contains the full package. No need to install over FCS2.
The installer will ask you the FCS2 password.

[Marshall Thompson] "Should I do a total wipe-out and fresh install on everything for best results"
I think yes and don't forget about optimizing your system (DiskWarrior etc) after installing.
A perfect installation doesn't grants that things are OK.
rafael

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Sep 5, 2010 at 9:15:15 pm

What do u mean by "system will be a mess"?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 6, 2010 at 3:27:22 am

[Jason Brown] "What do u mean by "system will be a mess"?"
Hi Jason,
After a PERFECT install, if you run DiskWarrior, you will find at least a 30% of "Items Out of Order".
MacOX is unable to optimize him self. You really need to rebuild the Directories to make the things run smooth.
Rafael

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Sep 6, 2010 at 12:46:38 pm

What kind of issues do "out of order" items cause? And what software would u suggest?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 6, 2010 at 2:13:31 pm

[Jason Brown] "What kind of issues do "out of order" items cause"
From slowing down any process to produce Kernel Panic, hangs, loosing documents, etc.

I use DiskWarrior because is the less complicated, but you can also use TechTools or DriveWizard.
Those has more options but some processes can take very long (and you better don't stop any HD maintenance task once started).

Run it in all your HDs in a regular base and you will avoid many headaches.
rafael

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Sep 5, 2010 at 5:56:39 am

Don't judge until you test with esata. When I switched from FW 800 to esata on my MBP my render times were dramatically shorter because The system could write the data faster to my media drive.

And everything Rafael said is correct.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]