FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes clips need to render in ProRes sequence?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan freshman
ProRes clips need to render in ProRes sequence?
on Sep 4, 2010 at 8:41:14 pm

Hello,

I am bringing canon 5D footage into final cut 7 after transcoding the h.264 footage into ProRes 422 1920X1080 at 23.98. I set up my sequence to have the exact same properties as the clips do using easy setup for proRes and then manually when that didnt work...however, I still get a red bar throughout the sequence even though everything seems to match. Any body have ideas? It seems to play back decent when I use unlimited roll time, but I should not have to do that right?

thanks for any ideas,
dan

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: ProRes clips need to render in ProRes sequence?
on Sep 4, 2010 at 8:44:51 pm

You may have forgotten to check the audio properties. Check to make sure you have uncompressed 48k audio.

Also check the field dominance. It's possible that is mismatched.

Return to posts index

dan freshman
on Sep 4, 2010 at 8:52:19 pm

Thanks for the reply,

I unlinked the tracks and deleted audio and still red line, and my footage is progressive so there wouldn't be field dominance correct? Also, an option for choosing field dominance in the sequence settings is greyed out. Also, after effects interprets the footage as 23.976, would that be a cause for rendering on a 23.98 timeline, or is that what 23.98 in final cut means any way.

thanks again
dan

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 4, 2010 at 9:59:04 pm

[dan freshman] "Also, after effects interprets the footage as 23.976, would that be a cause for rendering on a 23.98 timeline, or is that what 23.98 in final cut means any way. "

Nope. After Effect calls it by its actual frame rate. FCP is using shorthand. It would be a problem if you really rendered it at 23.98 in After Effects instead of 23.976.

Are you sure your timeline is set for Progressive? And you have checked your footage in the Browser (before putting it in a timeline) and it shows as progressive?

[dan freshman] "I unlinked the tracks and deleted audio"

That wont fix it, as its still part of the source file. Check the browser...what does it say for audio?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 4, 2010 at 10:38:49 pm

When you make a new sequence, cut in one of the clips. FCP will automatically make the sequence settings match. Then you should have no rendering.

Are you using FCP 6 or 7?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

dan freshman
on Sep 4, 2010 at 10:47:59 pm

Im using fcp 7. I tried that at first and it didnt work.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 4, 2010 at 10:52:27 pm

ODD! It asked to change, you said yes, and it STILL did that? How did you convert the footage.

Shane

Return to posts index

dan freshman
on Sep 4, 2010 at 10:56:38 pm

I converted the footage in compressor as a batch.....One tid bit of information that seems maybe pertinent now is that I am running fcp 7 on a powerPC. Haven't had any prolems for the last 6 months or so, some weird things, but this is the first real thing.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 4, 2010 at 11:41:14 pm

[dan freshman] "One tid bit of information that seems maybe pertinent now is that I am running fcp 7 on a powerPC. Haven't had any prolems for the last 6 months or so, some weird things, but this is the first real thing."

This could be the source of the issue. FCP 7 is not supported on PowerPC. You can trick a G5 into running it, but who knows how it will behave.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 5, 2010 at 3:27:31 am

[John Pale] "CP 7 is not supported on PowerPC"

GOOD CATCH! Now we see what happens when people try...

Shane

Return to posts index

Chris Linke
on Sep 6, 2010 at 2:11:02 am

Do you have the Video Scopes open? I seem to remember working on a ProRes sequence once with the scopes open and everything was redlined.

Chris Linke
PRC Digital Media
http://www.prcdigital.com

Return to posts index

Stuart Page
on Nov 16, 2016 at 5:25:42 am

Do you have the Video Scopes open? I seem to remember working on a ProRes sequence once with the scopes open and everything was redlined.

Chris Linke
PRC Digital Media
http://www.prcdigital.com

You're a genius, Chris Linke! I did have the scopes open, and it was showing the red render line when pasting in a new ProRes clip. After reading your tip, I reset the window to a Standard layout, pasted down a new ProRes clip and VOILA! NO RED LINE !!! THANKS !!!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 4, 2010 at 10:55:58 pm

Open a new sequence. Drag one clip in and when it asks to change the settings to match the footage say yes. Now open the sequence settings and see what they are.
Compare it to the other sequence and you will see what is different. Let us know what the difference is in case there is a problem with the transcoding from the 5D.

Did you use Log & Transfer? Does the 5D have the latest firmware so it can shoot at correct frame rates and audio sample rates?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 4, 2010 at 10:58:50 pm

#44: FCP acting weird - Trash Prefs

Shane's Stock Answer #44: FCP acting weird or unusual. Just not like is normally should

If the program was working fine, and now isn't, or just isn't working the way it should, the first things to do are:

1) Trash your FCP preferences. Download the Preference Manager from Digital Rebellion: http://www.digitalrebellion.com/pref_man.htm

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/trashing_fcp_prefs.html

2) Open the Disk Utility and Repair Permissions.

3) Shut down for 10 min. Go for a quick walk around the block and get SOME exercise today. Come back, turn on the computer and see how things are.

4) (optional) Do the Hokey Pokey and turn your self about. Results may vary.

Shane

Return to posts index

Donal O Kane
on Sep 5, 2010 at 1:52:16 pm

You could also try and see if the alpha settings are different from your sequence

(modify->alpha type ... should be set to none/ignore)

Return to posts index

Alec Beard
on Dec 6, 2010 at 11:50:22 pm

I'm having this same problem too, and I'm using a G5 running Final Cut 7. That might be the problem, huh?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 7, 2010 at 12:18:10 am

[Alec Beard] "I'm using a G5 running Final Cut 7. That might be the problem, huh?"

Running a hacked FCP to run on an non-intel? A configuration that Apple does not support (did not test either)? Could be the problem...

Shane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]