FORUMS: list search recent posts

FTP 3.5 minutes of PAL to Spain?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cinnamon Kennedy
FTP 3.5 minutes of PAL to Spain?
on Sep 4, 2010 at 5:31:23 pm

Hi,

I am a newbie to tv broadcast - I have only worked with internet video. I just found out that Spanish public tv wants 3.5 minutes of my stuff in PAL by monday, and there is some talk of me ftp-ing this to them. Is that done? (I'm just a regular person with a regular broadband connection.)

Thanks. Apologies if my question is dumb. I would be so lost without these forums.

Cinnamon Kennedy

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: FTP 3.5 minutes of PAL to Spain?
on Sep 4, 2010 at 6:52:16 pm

[Cinnamon Kennedy] "there is some talk of me ftp-ing this to them"

There is not such thing as "ftp-ing" it. FTP is not a verb. It refers to placing your file on an FTP server for someone to download. Does the Public TV station in Spain have an FTP server for you to upload a file to or do they expect to download the file from you?

While it is certainly possible to setup your own FTP server, I don't recommend you do so. There are many online services to handle this for you.

Yousendit.com might suffice for this and they have a free 14 day trial.

https://www.yousendit.com/trials

You need to post specific specs.

What specific format and codec is your timeline and what format/codec are they asking for?

Just saying they want PAL is not enough information.

Return to posts index

matthew bradshaw
on Sep 4, 2010 at 6:53:16 pm

You could try Pando which is a personal p2p. The free version has a 2Gb limit. Ftping not a verb, how quaint! 53,000 Google entries say it is!
Matt.

Return to posts index

Cinnamon Kennedy
on Sep 4, 2010 at 7:09:30 pm

Hi
Thank you both, that's very helpful. (I also like wetransfer.com - I think they have a 2G limit.) I don't know about specs yet. All they said was "Broadcast Quality" so I'm guessing that's big. And I'm sure they have a server that I would --trying not to use ftp as a verb -- upload to. ;) But what I gather from these two posts is that such a thing is possible from a broadband connection, and I don't need to run out and find somebody who will put it on tape for me?

Return to posts index

matthew bradshaw
on Sep 4, 2010 at 7:27:59 pm

Definitely possible. If you look here http://www.digital-heaven.co.uk/freeware there is (amongst other good stuff) a free disk space (file size) calculator which should tell you how large your file will be when you know the format.
Matt.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 4, 2010 at 7:39:24 pm

What is your seq setting? SD DV will be about 2.3GB, ProRes SD will be about 3.2 GB. IF you are working with DV I would do the PAL in DV. If you are using HD or something better than DV I would go to ProRes.

But the other things you need to be concerned with is the NTSC to PAL (if that is something you are going) It is not a simple change the settings and reexport. Compressor can do it but it is know to only do a so so good. Nattress Filters has a standards conversion that is really good for software.

Then different frame rates are converted differently. If you are working with 24p you normally just retime the video and audio to PAL's 25. Also PAL using lower field first for DV but upper for everything else. (I know it did for tape and I'm assuming it does for files, may want to check that)

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 4, 2010 at 7:52:00 pm

For a 3.5 minute job, its worth giving Compressor a shot first since you already own it.
With the Frame Controls turned on, the Resize and Rate Conversion set to "Better" or "Best", and the deinterlace set for "upper" (for most PAL formats) it is possible to get excellent results, depending on the material. Be advised that setting everything to "Best" will take a very long time to encode and not always give you the best results. "Best" engages Optical Flow, which does an amazing job with many types of footage but can cause artifacts on others.

The Nattress Plug ($99) is also very good and works within FCP. I have found that if you have graphics in your program you may experience unacceptable levels of softening with this plug-in, but its faster than Compressor and works within FCP.

You need to get specific specs beyond "Broadcast Quality", as that covers a lot of territory. No sense making a beautiful looking Pro Res or Avid DNxHD file if they cannot play it.

Return to posts index

Cinnamon Kennedy
on Sep 4, 2010 at 8:10:22 pm

Thank you so much for answering. My compressor has not opened for two days - keeps crashing upon opening - but that is a problem for another forum. If it ever recovers, I will definitely try your formula.

I have to confess that I'm working for people who know less about TV standards than I do, which is in fact possible. (A branch of the UN.) This is the piece that they want to put on TVE:
http://blip.tv/file/4080576

Since this particular organization is a bunch of semi-hysterical people who don't talk to each other (and I really love the UN), my hope is to put together a nice-looking EBU-standard compression without waiting for them to tell me what to do (because they might never get around to telling me). I'm thinking about 25 fps, 16:9 PAL, audio at 48. That is just from me looking around the internet - any recommendations are most welcome. I just want it to get to TVE looking ok - my guess is they'll probably excerpt parts of it for whatever news show wants it.

And another dumb question to follow up my original dumb question: Should I put color bars + tone on something I intend to ftp?

Thank you all so much for answering a person in crisis. If I had a dollar for every Creative Cow post I've read, I would never have to work again.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 5, 2010 at 1:30:41 am

Hi Cinamond,
Make an H264 at some 6.000 Kbps (K-frames Auto. Double pass).
This will yields a file of some 150 MB.
Don't change nothing on your clip (size, pixels, field order..) but the codec.
Upload it to Vimeo and tell these guys to download the original file.
Cheers,
Rafael
PS: I work often with UN and that kind of people. I know quite well what you mean.

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Sep 4, 2010 at 8:15:11 pm

Hi
When I know that the guy at the other end is (a) working on a Mac and (b) knows how to convert it to fit his own delivery specs I regularly ftp SD stuff (using iDisk in MobileMe) as H.264 with every frame a keyframe (GOP = 1). I convert the timebase beforehand if required.

Looks good enough for rock'n'roll...

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Sep 4, 2010 at 10:17:09 pm

We "FTP" stuff all the time. I don't care if it's a noun, verb, or adjective... only that it works!

Mark

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 4, 2010 at 11:10:09 pm

3.5 minutes of PAL DV will be less than a gig (rough mental arithmatic gives me around 800 meg). No problem uploading that via Yousendit or any number of online ftp services.

I run my own ftp server on a DSL broadband connection. It is a standalone Linux server running Clark Connect software. It is solid and bullet proof. I tried setting up temporary servers on a Windows XP computer but it was less than satisfactory. The Spanish broadcasters should have their own ftp server for you to upload to but if they do, make sure you use proper ftp software. I recommend Filezilla as a robust free ftp client or if you use Firefox, then the ftp Fire plugin is also a good, easy and free alternative. You cannot just use a browser and expect drag and drop to work. FTP is an ancient protocol so nothing fancy.

DV is the only lower field PAL codec so adjust accordingly. If you are having trouble opening Compressor, try the repair tools from here -

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/compressor_repair.htm

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 5, 2010 at 1:12:55 am

For some reason I was using 9 mins to figure, combining post I think

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 4, 2010 at 11:51:48 pm

[Mark Raudonis] "We "FTP" stuff all the time. I don't care if it's a noun, verb, or adjective... only that it works!"

I guess my joke came off a little harsh. I just encounter a lot of people who think FTP is some magical thing you do to the file itself. Many people don't realize its just a name for an ancient file transfer protocol.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]