FORUMS: list search recent posts

Subclip Question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raymond Tuquero
Subclip Question
on Sep 3, 2010 at 3:59:28 pm

I have a feeling this has been asked many o many of times.

But from some of the information online is still not clear.

So, I wanted to know if this was possible ...

I have about 15-20 tapes that have to be logged and captured. Deadline isn't close, but it isn't to far either.

In HD capture mode in FCP, you have the option of selecting create new clip at every start/stop. I like that.

In SD mode I know that after you CAPTURE NOW a tape, you can then go to DV Start/Stop Detect.

What I want to do is Capture now a tape in DV mode. And then choose DV Start/Stop Detect. (I can do this)
Then select all of the Markers and create SubClips (I've done that)
But then Unlink the Media, change the names from the generic name I gave it to more specific names and then recapture each clip separately with their new names. (Not Tape 1-1 ... and so on).

Is this possible, or am I just out of luck?

I know I can make a Clip independent and then re-capture ... but it still captures with the original source name of Tape1-1 and not the name I change in the Item Properties.

Thanks for any help or info. I just wanted to know so that I can speed up capture and still have separate clips for later Batch captures.

-Raymond Tuquero-
Houston Based Freelancer
http://www.mixtiomedia.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Subclip Question
on Sep 3, 2010 at 5:04:09 pm

Have you tried? It would not hurt to just do something like this.

I have never recaptured subclips but I would think you would need to make the independent to break the relationship of the footage on either side. But once this is done why not recapture and then rename the clips, seems like that would be the same amount of work but in a different order.

But if you have already renamed the clips just give it a shot. When you make the footage offline just more the clips to another folder for safe keeping, if it doesn't work you can bring them back and relink.

But then the question that comes to my mind is why are you even going to the trouble, if you make independent the clips will act just like if they where captured as smaller clips.

Return to posts index

Raymond Tuquero
Re: Subclip Question
on Sep 3, 2010 at 9:10:20 pm

Michael,

thanks for the quick response.

Well, I have had issues with batch capturing old projects that had reference clips. And If I run into a bad sector on a hard drive (happen more than once with different drives), and a clip in a middle of a pan is bad and only want that single pan. FCP wants to then capture the whole clip. Even if I do choose not to Add the extra footage around it.

It's just in my experience to have separate clips in the Captured Media in the Background as well as in the program work much much better for me. Plus, if I have captured footage, I sometimes find the file in Finder and grab the original Movie file for anything I do in After Effects for some clips. As oppose to exporting out of FCP and making a downgrade in quality.

-Raymond Tuquero-
Houston Based Freelancer
http://www.mixtiomedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]