FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 30p to 60i Transcode

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Rourke
FCP 30p to 60i Transcode
on Sep 2, 2010 at 4:17:23 pm

Hi. I'm working on a series that has both 1080p30 footage and 1080i60. The codec is XDCAM HD422. There was no issue as the first couple of shows were in 30p exclusively. I have been mixing the two frame rates in my current FCP timeline. When I try to spit out a qt version of my edit, I'll usually do a quicktime reference and then crunch it down in compressor to send it to my producer for approval.

With the two frame rates, it takes a ridiculous amount of time to export my file. It's been suggested to me that I transcode to one or the other. Seeing as I need to deliver in i60, I was going to transcode the 30p footage to i60. I think that transcoding is going to be a solution across the board from now until the end of the online process.

Here are my questions:

- Can I transcode within Final Cut or do I need to do it externally with Compressor?

- I've been told that ApplePro res 422 could be more efficient. Should I change the codec to Pro res from XDCAM in my transcode?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Dan

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: FCP 30p to 60i Transcode
on Sep 2, 2010 at 4:46:39 pm

Check the p30 footage as "Upper First" in the FCs Browser and drop it in an i60 sequence.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 2, 2010 at 4:59:36 pm

30p and 60i are the same frame rate...29.97...30fps. 30 "p" means PROGRESSIVE...30 full frames. 60 "i" means INTERLACED...60 FIELDS...two fields per frame...so 30fps.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 2, 2010 at 6:02:11 pm

[Dan Rourke] "Should I change the codec to Pro res from XDCAM in my transcode?"

Indeed you should, if for no other reason than to make exports from FCP faster. You'll also be gratified by the retention of image quality should you have to do any round-tripping to a different application.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dan Rourke
on Sep 3, 2010 at 7:13:18 pm

Thanks for your help, guys. I'm going to transcode over the weekend. The more efficiently I can work with the media, the better!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 4, 2010 at 1:07:33 am

Don't waist your time.
No need to transcode at all.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]