FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu Ray Authoring

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jurgen E. Tabaku
Blu Ray Authoring
on Sep 2, 2010 at 4:12:00 pm

Hi,

I was recently asked by a client for a finished product on Blu-Ray. The problem is that I don't know how to author movies to Blu-Ray as DVD Studio Pro does not have that option. I was wondering if someone could help me out with this problem. I tried searching for a workflow on the website but I was unable to do so.

I currently have Final Cut 6 but I am hoping that I will be able to get Final Cut 7 in the next couple of weeks. From what I have read it seems as if it is 100 times easier to author DVD's with Final Cut 7.

I am using two Sony XDCAM EX3 to shoot. I don't know if maybe there is a way where I can edit on Final Cut, export back to the XDCAM EX3 and then burn it on a PC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Jurgen.

I am what I am.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Blu Ray Authoring
on Sep 2, 2010 at 4:40:08 pm

What does the client want? There's Toast and Compressor outputs a Blu Ray. There's Encore as well. Do they want to replicate? If so you would need to pay someone to do the work unless you're prepared to spend a substantial amount of money and time will the learning curve.

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Sep 2, 2010 at 5:00:18 pm

Toast 10 is only $79.95 and works well but does not have all the menu details you may want. Encore seems to be the way to go if you want a detailed menu.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Jurgen E. Tabaku
on Sep 2, 2010 at 5:15:14 pm

The only problem with Encore is that I have heard that with Encore you can only do a play button as anything more than that will not work most of the time.

I am what I am.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 25, 2010 at 12:16:04 pm

[Ron Pestes] "Encore seems to be the way to go if you want a detailed menu."

Nope, detailed menus only work in DVDs. BluRay detailed menus blow up, the app crashes, etc, etc, etc. Encore is only good for a "Play Only" BluRay disc.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jurgen E. Tabaku
on Sep 27, 2010 at 2:36:56 pm

Hi Walter,

From all the posts that I was reading regarding BluRay, the only one that I could look at that seemed to work great was NetBlender. The thing is that I edit all of my movies in a Mac while NetBlender is for PC. I would like to give it a try since it has a 30 day trial period.
Do you have any recommendations of how I could transfer the footage over from a Mac to a PC to make this work?

I use a Sony EX3 XDCAM for shooting. I was thinking about the burning to tape option but I am not sure about the quality as I have not tried it before.

Thanks,
Jurgen.

I am what I am.

Return to posts index

Jurgen E. Tabaku
on Sep 2, 2010 at 5:00:37 pm

They want a sporting event on a Blu-Ray. They only want two copies of it on Blu-Ray and the rest on regular DVD's.

As far as Toast goes, I have been reading a couple of reviews on Amazon and it seems like Toast 10 is not very reliable. Do you think that this because of the learning curve?

Could I create Menu's on compressor?

Thank you for your help.
Jurgen.

I am what I am.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Sep 2, 2010 at 5:15:55 pm

There is no learning curve in Toast. Its has easy as it gets. Do a google for tons of tutorials

Return to posts index

Jurgen E. Tabaku
on Sep 2, 2010 at 6:34:15 pm

As far as Toast goes, I was wondering if it had the same problem as Encore where you can only have a Play button or otherwise it will crash?

Also, I was wondering if you have had a chance to test out Roxio DVDit Pro HD?

I am what I am.

Return to posts index

Bill Celnick
on Sep 2, 2010 at 6:57:12 pm

I have used both PC and Mac versions of Encore for years, and have authored Blu-Ray without issue.

I haven't experienced the crashes you speak of, and I've had more than just "Play" buttons.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Sep 2, 2010 at 7:54:14 pm

[Jurgen E. Tabaku] "was wondering if you have had a chance to test out Roxio DVDit Pro HD?"

I've been using that the last 2 years with no problems.

Return to posts index

Jurgen E. Tabaku
on Sep 3, 2010 at 2:13:45 am

Would you say that Toast or DVDit Pro HD is better? I also Encore but I only have the PC version and would prefer to complete everything on a Mac.

Thanks.

I am what I am.

Return to posts index

Charlie Fulton
on Sep 25, 2010 at 5:18:45 am

MainConcept just released MovieExport, an export plugin for Final Cut Pro, QuickTime and iMovie with a number of higher-end codecs, supporting Blu-ray Disc, XDCAM, AVC-Intra, F4V, iPod, PSP, AVCHD, DVD, etc. So it can get you a bit closer to authoring a Blu-ray Disc, although you still need to have one of the usual apps to create your menus and to do the actual burning, of course.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]