FORUMS: list search recent posts

Choppy playback w/motion effects even after rendering

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patricia Lee
Choppy playback w/motion effects even after rendering
on Sep 2, 2010 at 11:04:58 am

Hi,

This is my first time posting here, so hopefully I've got the correct forum and can describe my problem thoroughly.

I am working on FCP 7.0.2 with footage that was converted using After Effects from 29.97 fps with a H.264 compression to 25 fps with Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) compression. Everything else stayed the same (size 1920x1080 pixels, sound 48 kHz, etc) The computer is running Mac OS X 10.5.6 with a 2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor and a SCSI 320 RAID hard drive with 1.2 TB. The sequence is set correctly to match the footage, but when I scale the footage or use any sort of motion effect (cropping etc), the playback is choppy/stutters. This occurs even after rendering the sequence. However, if I quit FCP and restart it, the playback is seamless and works fine.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be or how I can solve this problem? It's rather annoying having to constantly quit, especially if a client is sitting next to me. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Choppy playback w/motion effects even after rendering
on Sep 2, 2010 at 2:58:15 pm

Is your scratch disk set to be a drive other than your startup disk?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

DVD:http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Patricia Lee
on Sep 3, 2010 at 8:46:14 am

The scratch disk is definitely separate from the startup.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Sep 3, 2010 at 12:27:55 pm

What is this scratch disk? An internal drive or?

Was the software on the machine installed cleanly? i.e., the startup disk was erased when a new OS or new version of FCP was installed or upgraded?

It's an odd problem you have...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

DVD:http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Patricia Lee
on Sep 3, 2010 at 12:58:35 pm

The scratch disk an external RAID drive. As for the software, it was updated and installed on a clean start up disk.

Do you think perhaps that it could be a problem with the available RAM?

Return to posts index

Will Spence
on Dec 27, 2010 at 9:51:44 pm

I am experiencing the exact same problem.
Footage is ProRess 422HQ 1920x1080. My computer is running OS X 10.6.5. 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors. Scratch disk is different from startup. It is a 1 TB Serial ATA internal drive.
Like Patricia, playback becomes choppy after adjusting motion settings, (size, crop, etc.) Only solution comes from restarting FCP.

Return to posts index

Will Spence
on Dec 27, 2010 at 9:55:32 pm

I am experiencing the exact same problem.
Footage is ProRess 422HQ 1920x1080. My computer is running OS X 10.6.5. 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors. Scratch disk is different from startup. It is a 1 TB Serial ATA internal drive.
Like Patricia, playback becomes choppy after adjusting motion settings, (size, crop, etc.) Only solution comes from restarting FCP.

Return to posts index

Will Spence
on Dec 29, 2010 at 12:55:15 am

Hey Patricia,
After getting some advice from an editor friend of mine, I think I've got the problem solved. In my case, I needed to manually update the driver for my video card.
Go to "About this Mac" and check "Graphics and Displays" to find out which video card you've got. Mine happens to be the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120. After going to NVIDIA's website and downloading and installing the latest driver, my playback is looking perfectly smooth, even after adjusting size, crop, etc.
Hope this helps!
Will

Return to posts index

Will Spence
on Dec 29, 2010 at 5:39:46 pm

jumped the gun on this. the problem has shown up again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]