FORUMS: list search recent posts

Basic FCP Sequence Settings question for 1080 footage w/ 7D

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Wilson
Basic FCP Sequence Settings question for 1080 footage w/ 7D
on Sep 2, 2010 at 6:00:34 am

OK. So maybe it's the fact I've been working for 18 hours straight and my mind is partially play-dough, but I'm thoroughly confused right now by what I think may be the dumbest question ever.

Anyway... here's my problem and my workflow.

PROBLEM:
Stupid black box above and below my 1080 footage after I export to QT out of FCP (this box never existed in my 720 footage)

WORKFLOW:
- I have 1080/30p footage from a Canon 7D and Rebel T2i
- Converted to Prores 422 in MPEG Streamclip (I can never keep the file system intact to use the FCP EOS plugin. I need to work on that)
- Imported into FCP7

1080 SEQUENCE SETTINGS:
Frame size: 1920x1080 HDTV 1080 (16:9)
Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square
Field Dominance: None
Editing Timebase: 29.97
Compressor: HDV1080p30 (Also tried ProRes)
Quality: 100 percent

After I export to Quicktime with current settings, the video plays back with a small black bar above and below the footage. Weird. This seems kind of normal to me, except these bars never existed when I edited in 720. Not that it looks bad, I'm just confused why the bars are there when they weren't there in 720.

720 SEQUENCE SETTINGS:
Frame size: 1280x720 HDTV 720p (16:9)
Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square
Field Dominance: None
Editing Timebase: 29.97
Compressor: HDV 720p30
Quality: 100 percent

When I export this, no black bars above and below.

So why -- If my settings are basically the same except for the 1080/720 substitution -- do I get the above/below black boxes for 1080 and I don't get them for 720?
I don't think I want the box. Don't like the box. The box is bad. I think.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Basic FCP Sequence Settings question for 1080 footage w/ 7D
on Sep 2, 2010 at 6:04:44 am

Why are you using HDV sequence settings? That's wrong wrong wrong! HDV is a thin raster 1440x1080...and a GOP format to boot!! Why aren't you cutting in your first clip into a new sequence, and when FCP asks "DO YOU WANT YOUR SEQUENCE SETTINGS TO MATCH YOUR CLIP SETTINGS'...why don't you click YES? That will make a sequence with the EXACT settings of your clips. Meaning you put a clip on the timeline and have NO color bar above the footage...no need to render.

Don't keep the full card structure...editing ProRes in HDV sequences... Man, not doing anything right, are ya? (ribbing there...)

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 2, 2010 at 6:06:00 am

[Jordan Wilson] "Compressor: HDV1080p30 (Also tried ProRes)"
CHANGE that IMMEDIATELY!!!!!
Every time you render something you are compressing to HDV, that is bad, time consuming, wrong is every sense. Go back and stay with ProRes.

Can you post the QT player info of the video and a frame grab.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 2, 2010 at 6:09:44 am

Firstly you should edit ProRes 422 in a matching sequence. HDV is not a good codec and it is also 1440 x 1080 native.

Change your Easy Setup to ProRes 422. Drop one clip into the timeline and see if it wants to change sequence settings. Say yes if it does. Check the sequence settings to make sure that it is 1920 x 1080 ProRes as expected. Also look at the clips from MpegStreamclip in the bin and look at the columns that show frame size and codec to make sure that you have in fact converted the 7D files to the correct codec and pixel aspect.

I suspect the problem is an incorrectly setup sequence or incorrect pixel aspect on the MpegStreamclip conversion. Check all those things first and also do a test export of the single clip yuou put in the ProRes sequence to see if it exports correctly.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wilson
on Sep 2, 2010 at 7:25:15 am

Thanks for the feedback (and ribbing). Need that to get better (and get my act together)

I did the whole drag a clip in and click yes before. Not sure why I didn't do it this time.

So, now I'm faced with a problem because of my lack of preparing the sequence correctly.

I saved and closed my project. I opened a new project file and dragged one 1080p clip onto the timeline. FCP asked me if I wanted to convert settings. I said yes.

So now I have the proper settings on my new project. Great. BUT.... I can't get my old project to take on the new settings. I tried in two ways.

First, I tried copy and pasting all of the files from my old project over to my new project (the one with the proper settings). When I do this, here's what it looks like in final cut:

And obviously when I export, it looks like this:

So in my sequence settings, I have the correct settings, but apparently it's carrying over some previous settings?

The second way I tried was to manually change the settings in my (incorrectly configured) project file. Once I manually enter the correct settings (the settings that pop up after FCP asks me if I want to change my settings), I get the same problem.

So no matter which way I change the settings, it brings up the small version of the video....

I tried from scratch, with unedited clips, and everything works fine. However, I just can't copy-and-paste my old files from the incorrect project file. And I don't want to start over from scratch and lose all my edits....

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 2, 2010 at 7:29:28 am

Highlight all the footage you pasted...then right-click and choose REMOVE ATTRIBUTES. Then check BASIC MOTION.

Shane

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 2, 2010 at 7:47:01 am

After removing the basic motion settings, if the picture is stretched in any way, also remove attributes>Distort.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wilson
on Sep 2, 2010 at 7:54:54 am

Sweet! Thanks Shane. I think this solved 90 percent of my re-importing issue.

When I did clicked "Basic Motion", here's what I got:

There's still a tad of black pillar boxing above/below. So I tried also checking "Distort" Here's what I got:

So I think this takes care of the whole black box issue, and now it's in 1080 (I believe?)

The thing I'm wondering is in format it says 1920x1080 (1888x1062) Millions. Should that 1888x1062 read 1920x1080?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 2, 2010 at 8:01:14 am

Don't worry about the quicktime inspector. It is 1920 x 1080.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 2, 2010 at 8:03:12 am

Ignore what QT says...no one understands why it does that. Know that what you have in FCP is right.

(Good call on Distort...I forgot about that)

Shane

Return to posts index

Jordan Wilson
on Sep 2, 2010 at 3:15:23 pm

Yup... basic motion+distort worked wonders and saved me hours.

Thanks so much for the help on this! Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 2, 2010 at 4:02:29 pm

[Shane Ross] "Ignore what QT says...no one understands why it does that. Know that what you have in FCP is right."

Quicktime is reporting the clean aperture specified for the video file. I think this can be safely ignored with most digital HD.

FCP uses the production aperture (full raster), and Quicktime displays the production aperture on movies from FCP by default. If you see gunk on the edges, you can set the movie to display using the clean aperture in Quicktime, cropping the edges off.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Montica Pes
on Nov 19, 2010 at 6:25:53 am

Could someone answer me this related question: If I am shooting with a 7D, what easy set-up selection should I be selecting, given that I am doing 24p 1080?

I simply say, "Yes" whenever FCP7 asks me to match the clip's sequence settings, and I had to figure out that when I was copying part of a sequence to another sequence that I needed to hit remove attributes "distort" but I'd like to have the RIGHT thing selected.

Any ideas? I know you guys know.

:) Monty

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 19, 2010 at 2:03:23 pm

[Montica Pes] "Could someone answer me this related question: If I am shooting with a 7D, what easy set-up selection should I be selecting, given that I am doing 24p 1080?"

You SHOULD be converting your footage to ProRes 422 first. Well, second. The first thing you should be doing is backing up your card...

Tutorial: Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

Shane

Return to posts index

Montica Pes
on Nov 19, 2010 at 3:29:39 pm

No, I am converting to ProRes422 (LT) and backing up...but the "easy set-up" selection only give you DVCPRO and HDV set-up specs. So I just selected something and I'm letting FCP's big brain tell me, "We'll match the clip and the sequence settings up for you little brain." It bugs me.

Return to posts index

Montica Pes
on Nov 19, 2010 at 3:43:38 pm

Sean--
Just watched your tutorial and it is extremely helpful. I was using mpeg streamclip and not using a logging bin--so I never went through the logging process in the way you describe. Very helpful. Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]