FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple formats PAL and NTSC - sequence settings??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Raysik
Multiple formats PAL and NTSC - sequence settings??
on Sep 1, 2010 at 10:05:01 pm

I was given a hard drive with all of the source media, as well as project files for a friends video. My goal is to fix the terrible jittering and glitching nature of the video due to multiple formats.

I looked at the sequence settings, somehow everything was set to 25fps. Source media is everything HDV 1080i60, DVCproHD 1080i50, Apple Intermediate Codec 29.97, Apple ProRes 29.96, DV - Pal 25fps, h.264 1080... it is a mess.

At first I just changed the sequence settings to HDV 1080i60, re-rendered, exported as a full QT... transcoded it in Compressor to h.264 24fps... and then to DVD and it worked... i tried that same method again and now it isnt working.

My question is 3 part. What happy medium can I find to make some droplets and convert all of this media to... possibly more than one codec based on the DV and HD sources.... and then what sequence settings should I use to re-edit everything in... and lastly, to save about 20 hours of work.... will exporting and EDL actually work? I have never used it before and seems like it could do the trick.

Also, it is about 12 different sequences... 2 of which are completely DV - Pal footage. The rest are 99.9% HD. The end result is a widescreen DVD and also a Blu Ray, but DVD is my main goal at the moment.

Any further information needed I will GLADLY supply in detail. This has been weeks of trouble and now I am realizing to just start over might be the best bet.

Dustin

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Multiple formats PAL and NTSC - sequence settings??
on Sep 2, 2010 at 2:50:40 am

Are you in the US or a country that uses PAL?

What percentage of the footage is in PAL ?

What percentage is HD?

Return to posts index

Dustin Raysik
on Sep 2, 2010 at 3:16:45 am

I am in the US. 2 sequences, total of 5 minutes are pal. and then a handful of clips in each other sequence are PAL. I noticed that there are clips filmed with a US HVX200 that were overcranked at 60.... finder and FCP both tell me that they are 1080i50 and not 60. This project is full of problems. Both PAL sequences are DV, everything else is HD.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 2, 2010 at 2:56:47 pm

Good God.

I would convert everything to Pro Res 1080i/60 (29.97 fps).

Make sure you turn on the Frame Controls. Set the resize to "Better" or "Best". Set the Rate Conversion to "Better" or "Best". Set Output Fields to "Upper"

Setting everything to "Best" will take a very long time and may not always give you the best results. Do some short tests on each format to see if "Better" is sufficient.

Do each source format separately, as you may need to adjust some settings for each different format.

Good luck. This is a huge mess.

Return to posts index

Dustin Raysik
on Sep 2, 2010 at 3:21:32 pm

Thank you for the advice. What do you advise I do with the dv-pal footage? All day converting is ok based on my wok schedule right now, I just need to have render free editing or atleast eliminate rendering just to view footage on the timelie, and a clean DVD in the end. I will make a droplet for each of my sources once I tweak them and go from there. Can I do more than one group/setting at a time or no?

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 2, 2010 at 4:23:46 pm

[Dustin Raysik] "What do you advise I do with the dv-pal footage? "

In your first posting you said you wanted to make a BluRay disc at some point...so I would upconvert DV sources to HD. Edit in a 1080i ProRes timeline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]