FORUMS: list search recent posts

Better Fade Outs

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Federico Urdaneta
Better Fade Outs
on Sep 1, 2010 at 1:20:24 pm

hey guys

you know how when you open / close the iris in-camera you create nice fade in/out's? is there a plug-in that mimics this behavior? FCP's built-in fades look too digital, cheap.

thanks

fede

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
Re: Better Fade Outs
on Sep 1, 2010 at 2:02:01 pm

Try keyframing your luminance down to zero.

Return to posts index

Federico Urdaneta
on Sep 1, 2010 at 2:04:21 pm

thanks for the response. now, forgive my ignorance, but where is this luminance? is it a parameter of an Effect?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 1, 2010 at 3:59:06 pm

Why don't you look in the Effects tab under transitions? You find a few different ones there.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Federico Urdaneta
on Sep 1, 2010 at 4:44:28 pm

I have tried those. But they all feel (to me, at least) as a black solid fading in on top of the video. The feeling of an aperture / iris fade is quite different as it seems to affect highlights and shadows differently.

or i'm missing something obvious here... which transition do you guys prefer? obviously not talking about the star-wipes, anything like that... when it comes to a plain, old fade, how do you guys do it?

thanks again for your help

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 1, 2010 at 5:00:53 pm

[Federico Urdaneta] "I have tried those. But they all feel (to me, at least) as a black solid fading in on top of the video. The feeling of an aperture / iris fade is quite different as it seems to affect highlights and shadows differently. "

This must mean you've tried the Additive Dissolve, Dither Dissolve and Non-Additive Dissolve and found no satisfaction.

I'd start checking the plugin makers for other types of fades, start doing fades to black in-camera, or take your fades to black into something like After Effects to accomplish what you seek.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Sep 1, 2010 at 6:48:14 pm

Still think keyframing the luminance is going to give you what you desire. When you think about it, closing the iris on a camera is literally reducing the luminance of your image.

Return to posts index

Federico Urdaneta
on Sep 1, 2010 at 6:49:54 pm

it sounds like a good idea. unfortunately i have no idea where the "luminance" parameter is to be found in the clip viewer. where do you see it?

Return to posts index

Federico Urdaneta
on Sep 1, 2010 at 7:14:41 pm

well, in case anyone's interested. i've keyframed the Y parameter in the YUV adjust filter (inside Image Control). give it a go and see the difference, it's a much nicer, warmer fade. (i'm talking about fades into black, not crossfades)

thanks for the replies

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Sep 1, 2010 at 7:19:36 pm

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. ;-)

(Sorry, I wasn't near my FCP machine.)

Return to posts index

Federico Urdaneta
on Sep 1, 2010 at 7:21:18 pm

no prob, thanks :)

only thing is, it's a bit of pain to add 2 keyframes every time you want a fade. def takes more time than APPLE+T...... can you save this as some sort of animation preset?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Sep 1, 2010 at 7:40:40 pm

Here are some plugin companies that have a wide variety of dissolves: CGM, CHV, CoreMelt, Nattress Big Box of Tricks

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]