FORUMS: list search recent posts

MAC shuts down on preview render

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sachin Desai
MAC shuts down on preview render
on Aug 31, 2010 at 8:04:30 am

i've a problem with my edit system, it edits ok but when i render previews the whole system shuts off. and after restart it shuts off again until i wait for few mins and turn main power off.

what could be the problem....

apple says it is either os or the RAM. i don't want to reinstall the whole system be cause it runs very smooth and ok until i start fcp and render previews...

help me out...

thanks

mine is 8core macpro 4gb ram with ati radeon hd 2600

Sachin Desai

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: MAC shuts down on preview render
on Aug 31, 2010 at 11:28:18 am

[Sachin Desai] "i don't want to reinstall the whole system be cause it runs very smooth and ok until i start fcp and render previews..."

Well that's a sign that your system is not running smoothly. You have a pretty serious system problem if the simple act of rendering in FCP causes the entire system to shut down.

I would do a full re-install of the OS and all your software to see if that addresses the issue.

[Sachin Desai] "mine is 8core macpro 4gb ram with ati radeon hd 2600"

You should have 8GB RAM minimum in that machine. 1GB for each core.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 31, 2010 at 1:15:48 pm

[Sachin Desai] "apple says it is either os or the RAM."

Really? I would think a shut down like that would be hardware related.

The only way to really test is to reinstall the OS like Walter said.

I know you don't want to, but you have to. Get a new drive and try it on there, keeping your current system in tact.

Return to posts index

Sachin Desai
on Aug 31, 2010 at 2:06:33 pm

Thanks for your views, but all other software like compressor, motion renders ok; doesn't causes the shut down. that's why i think its not a hardware problem. if only happens when I do it from FCP.

Sachin Desai

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 31, 2010 at 2:09:02 pm

[Sachin Desai] "Thanks for your views, but all other software like compressor, motion renders ok; doesn't causes the shut down. that's why i think its not a hardware problem. if only happens when I do it from FCP."

Yeah, but that doesn't mean too much. A problem like this is going to be really hard to diagnose. I would think it's hardware related, but the easier thing to do is to reinstall everything and see if it persists to rule out software.

If it the problem continues, I'd swap your RAM, if it continues after that you have to send that computer in.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 31, 2010 at 1:22:59 pm

Rendering involves in FCP works your processors and RAM more than general use. Its likely you have a hardware problem (Bad RAM, Power Supply...even the logic board). Get this machine on a bench and have it checked out.

Return to posts index

Steven Gonzales
on Aug 31, 2010 at 2:32:55 pm

There are a lot of thermal sensors (motherboard, hard drives) that will shut down the os immediately with too much heat.

You could fire up applications:utilities:activity monitor and see what's using ram when you crash.

Return to posts index

Sachin Desai
on Sep 1, 2010 at 1:44:16 am

thanks.

I think you guys are right... i'll reinstall FCP 1st than if it still happens i'll reinstall everything just to check... i've already called to apple support for checking the system hardware...

thanks for all the help..

It incresed my knoeledge a little...

thanks

Sachin Desai

Return to posts index

Sachin Desai
on Sep 1, 2010 at 7:48:46 am

Hi Guys!

I was right no hardware problem.... even i didn't reinstall the system. i just run software updates and installed all the availabe updates and there you go... everything working allright now no shutdowns what so ever...

thanks for all your help..
sachin

Sachin Desai

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 1, 2010 at 2:03:15 pm

There you go. Start with the easy stuff first.

Return to posts index

Jeff Franklin
on Mar 29, 2011 at 5:30:45 pm

I'm having this exact same symptom on an Early 2008, 8 core Mac Pro. The differences are that the thing powers off on a Media Composer render or an After Effects render. It's not a crash, the power just goes off a couple of seconds into the render. This is the second time this has happened. The first time I rebuilt the OS including a new drive. Didn't exhibit the problem for months. Two weeks ago it started up again. It also will just freeze (screen visible, but no keyboard or mouse response) sometimes when it is idle.

I am actually leaning towards a hardware issue. Either graphics card or power supply. Maybe MOB. I've still got AppleCare on this one so I am planning to take it in.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]