FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using a Projector with FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Smith
Using a Projector with FCP
on Aug 31, 2010 at 5:07:57 am

Hey gang
My wife and I just bought a house with a 4th bedroom that I have been allowed to set up as an edit bay for myself... she's so sweet. Anyway, my plan was to have my MBP on the desk and make the edits on it, but for playback I was thinking about putting a projector on top of the desk shelving and projecting it on the wall behind me for a larger viewing screen. Just curious if I need to go with DLP or LCD or if either should work. I am not sure what I did wrong, but I tried to run FCP from my MBP to my Samsung 50inch DLP using the DVI to HDMI converter and it would not work properly... Just don't want to spend money on a projector and have the same thing happen again. Any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks
jared

Return to posts index

Jared Smith
Re: Using a Projector with FCP
on Aug 31, 2010 at 5:09:36 am

or should i just get an LCD TV?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 31, 2010 at 6:06:25 am

To get a proper video signal out to a monitor or projector, you need a video IO device...a capture card. Doing what you did just sent a computer signal to the monitor...and it might not be all that smooth. Professionals use hardware capture cards to do this. The only options you have for a laptop are the AJA IOHD ($3500)...or the Matrox MXO2 ($1600), MXO2 LE ($1000) or MXO2 Mini ($450).

If you JUST want playback to a monitor or projector...I recommend the MXO2 Mini. Make sure to choose the Express34 card option when ordering. OH...and I hope your laptop has the Express34 slot and not the SD card slot...if not, the only IO device that will work with your machine is the AJA IO HD.

Did the converted DVI signal really look that bad?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave Bergan
on Aug 31, 2010 at 7:35:53 pm

Were you using the Digital Cinema Desktop Preview feature or connecting the DVI out as a second monitor. I have found it works well, especially in this type of setup. DCDP does send a video signal and not just a computer signal.

Dave

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 31, 2010 at 7:41:08 pm

[Dave Bergan] "DCDP does send a video signal and not just a computer signal."

No...if you are connected via DVI, then it is a COMPUTER signal. Yes, you are getting the image you see in the canvas, but it is the computers RGB output, and not a video YUV output. You aren't getting proper colors, nor are you seeing proper interlacing if your footage has it. Computer signals don't do interlacing.

Shane

Return to posts index

Dave Bergan
on Aug 31, 2010 at 7:48:36 pm

Ok, fine. Though according to this is implies it is a video signal

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA27705?viewlocale=en_US

Besides, because he isn't going to a broadcast monitor anyway, and DCDP has always played smooth for me it seems like a reasonable idea to bring up. But whatever...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 31, 2010 at 7:54:25 pm

Marketting. They say VIDEO PLAYBACK...but it isn't a video signal.

But, whatever. Just saying as an FYI that it isn't a full video signal. But it works as playback.

Shane

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Aug 31, 2010 at 8:36:12 pm

[Dave Bergan] "Ok, fine. Though according to this is implies it is a video signal"

Shane is correct
you need to read your own link thoroughly

I Quote:

Computer Displays operate in RGB color space versus YUV color space (used by a NTSC/PAL Broadcast monitor) therefore, some effects may appear differently between output to tape and what was previewed on the computer display.

Due to the refresh rate of LCD computer monitors, 1080i 60 and 720p 60 material may exhibit some temporal artifacts during playback. LCD Cinema displays, use phosphors rather than pixels and scan entire frames at one time. Therefore LCD Cinema Displays have a longer "decay" period between each frame when compared to lines being scanned on a CRT. At times, the same video image will be visible on screen for a period of up to four to seven frames

Video playback to a traditional CRT NTSC or PAL monitor differs from playback to LCD Cinema Display. CRT monitors scan entire fields of pixels to create a frame's worth of lines.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Dave Bergan
on Aug 31, 2010 at 9:08:07 pm

Geez, ok, I was wrong, I already saw that. Excuse my attempt to bring up something that might be helpful. I won't let it happen again.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 31, 2010 at 9:12:21 pm

It was a helpful post...good link. But the claim you made was wrong, that's all. Good to post things like that, but be careful what to claim to read, or know.

I've been stung too...

Shane

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Aug 31, 2010 at 10:46:57 pm

[Shane Ross] "I've been stung too..."

Haven't we all at one time or another.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL