FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dropped frames on second monitor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Ince
Dropped frames on second monitor
on Aug 30, 2010 at 8:38:42 pm

Good evening,

Hoping somebody out there can give me some advice. I'm working with HD footage shot on a Canon 7D in its native codec, H.264. I'm working off a new Mac Pro with a HD5870 graphics card. I have a dual monitor set-up. When I try and preview the footage on the second display I get a dropped frames warning. This only occurs when I set FCP to preview on the second display. I've checked with footage compressed to 720p and everything works fine. The second display is an Eizo ColorEdge CG243W plugged in via DVI. Is there anything I can set up in FCP to get a smooth preview or does the issue lie with the screen. Or is it just the DVI connection? I'm primarily a stills photographer and print designer - far more simple than video!

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

David.

Return to posts index

Gary Askham
Re: Dropped frames on second monitor
on Aug 30, 2010 at 9:19:40 pm

It's not advisable to bring H.264 into Final Cut Pro. A quick internet search or talking to someone who deals with these cameras on a day to day basis would have revealed this.

If you need to preview your footage use Quicktime Player. If you need to edit your footage you need to do a little research.

------------------------
FCP and Avid Technical Support
Air Post Production
Shoreditch - London

Return to posts index

David Ince
Re: Dropped frames on second monitor
on Aug 30, 2010 at 9:35:21 pm

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your quick response. So if I change the format of the footage to something like apple pro-res this will solve the dropped frames issue on the second monitor?

As I said, I'm primarily a stills photographer and I didn't release the format would be an issue, figured it would be more of a data-rate thing. So my research on the net has been around this area and not around the codec. Perhaps I've misunderstood the purpose of this forum, but I assumed it was for people like me who know very little to ask questions and receive advice from those who know more. If you think I'm wasting your time I apologise.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]