FORUMS: list search recent posts

.M2v file starts Pulsing at the very end.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
joshua sandler
.M2v file starts Pulsing at the very end.
on Aug 30, 2010 at 6:06:05 pm

hey guys. I am having a horrible .m2v file situation and this is the first time this has ever happened to me. I am trying to make a DVD of a DVNTSC project edited in FCP. the film is 37 minutes long. As i always do when making DVD's i make an M2V file from the Final Cut quicktime file i exported. The final cut quicktime looks perfect. The M2V file, which i used the "90 minute best quality" looks great until about the last 30 seconds, at which there is this kind of pulse the appears and grows increasingly worse over the course of the last 30 seconds of the video. I have redoing it and the result is always the same. Does anyone know what is going on and how i can fix it? any help would be appreciated as this situation is killing me :/

thanks

joshua

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: .M2v file starts Pulsing at the very end.
on Aug 30, 2010 at 6:14:46 pm

Not seen this behavior, but try changing the preset a bit...

Since the video is shorter than 60 minutes, drag the preset you've been using, and change it to a CBR (constant bit rate) and set the slider there to be 7.0 mbps. I'll bet it works like a charm, will encode twice as fast, and will not lower the bit rate on any frame at all, so the result will likely look better throughout.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

DVD:http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 30, 2010 at 6:15:59 pm

What's happening in the final 30 seconds of your FCP edit timeline? I'd start checking there.
Footage with a bad frame rate or no-no codec? Lots of effects? Something like that?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 30, 2010 at 6:16:14 pm

If its only 37 minutes long, you should just use Constant Bit Rate (CBR) one-pass. You don't need VBR for a project that short. Its really for maximizing your bit rate on longer projects for areas that need it and lowers for areas that don't, to save space on a disc. Set your CBR around 7 (don't go higher on burned DVD's...can lead to playback problems). Encode your audio to AC3. It will encode much quicker and probably be better quality than what you are getting now.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 30, 2010 at 6:16:48 pm

Ack. Jerry beat me to it.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Aug 30, 2010 at 6:26:27 pm

Yeah, great minds...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

DVD:http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

joshua sandler
on Aug 30, 2010 at 6:42:11 pm

you guys are amazing... and funny. I'm going to give your suggestion a shot and let you know what happens. Thanks so much.

btw Jerry no there is nothing out of the ordinary or affect-heavy happening in the last 30 seconds. Just 3-way color corrector which is on the entire video.

Return to posts index

joshua sandler
on Aug 30, 2010 at 9:11:32 pm

wow it worked like a charm. my eyes have been opened. thank you so much!

hey quick follow up question. I shot all footage for this film on the DVX100B and most of it was shot and edited 24P but there are a few 60i clips sprinkled in there. My question is if i de-interlace it when making my M2V file in Compressor is there a chance that i can denigrate my progressive (lower fields) footage or will the de-interlaced just affect the interlaced footage and leave the 24p footage alone. I know this is kind of a basic question, but is one i have never really gotten a good answer to.

best

joshua

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 31, 2010 at 12:04:52 am

I discovered that CBR was better too for most things. Had a spot of some store shelves that were doing just that- pulsating. I also spoke with a colleage the other day with this problem.

Kinda makes you wonder why there aren't any 15 or 30 min presets.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 31, 2010 at 12:09:22 am

[Bret Williams] "I discovered that CBR was better too for most things. Had a spot of some store shelves that were doing just that- pulsating. I also spoke with a colleage the other day with this problem.

Kinda makes you wonder why there aren't any 15 or 30 min presets.
"

Yeah. I really hate that they call the setups, "Best Quality", etc. It's kind of misleading. Under certain circumstances it can give you the best quality, but not always. VBR can get freaked out by some types of material.

Return to posts index

joshua sandler
on Aug 31, 2010 at 12:10:27 am

yeah exactly. I still have Compressor 3 so i am not sure if the new Compressor has any newer presets for shorter videos.

ok to follow up good and bad news. The M2V file i made with CBR average bitrate of 7 looks Perfect.. but when i burned it it wont play on either of my DVD players :/ i burned it to a memorex dvd-r. should i try going down to 6.8? could it be the dvd?

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 31, 2010 at 12:27:02 am

[joshua sandler] "he M2V file i made with CBR average bitrate of 7 looks Perfect.. but when i burned it it wont play on either of my DVD players :/ i burned it to a memorex dvd-r. should i try going down to 6.8? could it be the dvd?"

Did you encode the audio to AC3? If not, your overall bitrate is probably too high.

Return to posts index

joshua sandler
on Aug 31, 2010 at 12:31:07 am

yea its .ac3 at whatever the default settings are for dvd 90 min best quality. remember the video is only 37 minutes long. i have been reading some posts where people are talking about setting their average bitrate for the video to like 8.5. i am burning one with the video at 6.8 and gunna see if it works.

Return to posts index

joshua sandler
on Aug 31, 2010 at 12:35:58 am

could the problem be in the preferences in DVD studio pro? the presets are:

bitrate: 4.0 Mbps

Max Bitrate: 7.0 Mbps

should i change these?

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 31, 2010 at 1:00:52 am

[joshua sandler] "could the problem be in the preferences in DVD studio pro? the presets are:

bitrate: 4.0 Mbps

Max Bitrate: 7.0 Mbps

should i change these?
"

No. That's only for when you let DVDSP do the encoding instead of Compressor.

Try lowering the bitrate to 6.5 or 6.8. Higher bit rates will be fine on replicated discs but not discs made in a DVD burner. Many players will choke on a DVD encoded with a bit rate of 8 if it is a DVD-R or DVD +R.

You could also just have some bad discs. Make sure you are using a quality brand and not some from Staples.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Aug 31, 2010 at 1:46:37 am

Those preferences only apply to media not already compressed for a DVD.

Jerry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]