FORUMS: list search recent posts

how do I know if the mic is in the shot?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Berger
how do I know if the mic is in the shot?
on Aug 30, 2010 at 5:13:31 am

Hey, I know from past experience that sometimes things that were at just baaaaaarely out of frame when shooting (lighting stand, mic, etc.) show up on the edges when the footage is viewed on FCP, but then disappear when viewed on screen / television.

I've got some footage and the mic is sticking in at the very top... and this footage can't be reshot... is there an easy way to know if this is just the expanded viewing area of FCP? The only solution I can think of is to burn the footage to DVD and toss it into a few players.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: how do I know if the mic is in the shot?
on Aug 30, 2010 at 5:57:47 am

OK, so the footage can't be reshot, so why go to all the trouble of making a DVD, trying to tell if the mic will be seen? Sounds like you have no choice but to use it.
Why not just blow up the frame a little, and reposition it so the mic isn't visible, then no worries?
Just a thought.
Post a frame of the footage if you can.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 30, 2010 at 9:49:25 am

I'm with Scott. Scale the image up a few percent, and reframe to get the mic out. Like 5% or so. I do this all the time for mics and lights and grip stands.

But if you ever want to know what things look like on a TV...get a capture card and TV. See without burning.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Thom Obarski
on Aug 30, 2010 at 6:02:04 pm

Or if it's REALLLY visible and reframing destroys the shot, have somebody roto it; reshooting is hardly ever an option for people!

"This is post, you can't fix it after this."

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Aug 30, 2010 at 9:52:45 pm

And perhaps camera manufacturers need to know camera operators would a like a viewfinder that shows ALL the image.... please. Maybe this is something they could move up their technology priorities, ahead of all the new codecs.

The viewer is actually more likely to notice a mike in shot and find it more disturbing than a little picture noise.

HD DSLRs work great, you can actually see the area just outside the recorded image area, top and bottom of frame.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]