FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to view 2 Sequences simultaniously to prepare for split screen?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Ellison
How to view 2 Sequences simultaniously to prepare for split screen?
on Aug 28, 2010 at 5:00:21 pm

Hi all,

I've got a Director coming in tomorrow who's shot short film, with the idea being similar to the "expectations vs reality" split screen scene in 500 days of Summer.

(if you have not seen check here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKDj7DJZMnI)

The shots will of course have to made square which is not a problem using a matte. However, is there any way I can have two sequences running at the same time so I can view both simultaniously in preparation for putting them together? Am I making any sense?

Any help would be so appreciated, thank you in advance.

Gary

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: How to view 2 Sequences simultaniously to prepare for split screen?
on Aug 28, 2010 at 7:26:44 pm

Your video link wasn't visible, but I think I know what you mean. There are a number of ways to play both simultaneously, but I'd put each sequence on its own track in a new sequence, then reduce each using Size in the Motion tab, move each smaller image side-by-side in the Canvas and you'll see them play together. It's probably best to crop at the final stage.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Gary Ellison
on Aug 28, 2010 at 10:18:16 pm

Hey John,

Thanks for the reply. What I mean is that I would like to edit a sequence, then start a new sequence for the alternative screen and begin a new edit, but be able to play both at the same time? So I've edited one, then with new edit and can also play the first sequence to see how the new one is working with it?

Return to posts index

Stephan Walfridsson
on Aug 28, 2010 at 11:08:00 pm

After you have finished your first sequence create a new sequence and drag you first (left) edit onto V1. Shrink, crop and position it. Then do your second (right) edit on V2. Shrink, crop and position as you edit, or preferably apply the scale, crop and position to your source material before you edit it into the timeline.

You may want to export your first/left edit and then reimport it to have a baked version so you don't mess anything up. But then you wont have the cuts/splices as guides.

You could do it with two nested sequences in a master sequence, but I think it would be messy to work that way.

Stephan

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 28, 2010 at 11:12:20 pm

FCP's doesn't do this well. Maybe someone's out there who better knows how to wrangle FCP more effectively. What I'd do is edit the first sequence and add it to a new sequence where it will become nested. Re-size the nest and place it in a corner or in an area where it won't be in the way. Then add tracks to the sequence and build your second edit. If you add the tracks below the nest you'll always see it. When you're finished, nest all the new tracks, and size, crop and position both nests. If you have to go into one nest to make a change, adjusting the other nest, particularly, if you've changed timing is a pain.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]