FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP and AE transfer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colton Crook
FCP and AE transfer
on Aug 27, 2010 at 4:26:31 am

Hey all,
Just wondering how well After Effect files transfer over to Final Cut Pro. I've been told that since Premiere Pro is Adobe that it's naturally better for the transfer, but how difficult is it to import it into Final Cut? I'm in a class where I'm learning how to use AE and am interested to hear what others have to say on the matter.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP and AE transfer
on Aug 27, 2010 at 5:30:24 am

Never had a problem getting Animation codec from AE to FCP. Some people with AE also have FCP and can use ProRes codecs which are even better.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 27, 2010 at 7:40:16 am

AE plays well with any NLE. You just need to render to the codec of choice for the timeline you're working in or you use the Animation codec if you need alpha channels.

Been working with AE since 1996 and have used it with pretty much any NLE that's out there. Are there specific problems you're having?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 27, 2010 at 12:34:25 pm

Do you mean project files or just the finished render?

I used to use the Animation codec, but have switched to ProRes 4444 for anything requiring an alpha. It's nice to have real time alpha in fcp. For anything that's not an alpha, I render back to whatever flavor of prores I am editing that day.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Aug 27, 2010 at 12:42:13 pm

The advantage of Premiere Pro and After Effects together is that you don't have to immediately render to get an idea of how an AE comp looks like in an NLE timeline. With FCP (or any other NLE) you have to render first, import into FCP and then see how it looks. If you need to make changes or add something, it requires another render.

Premiere Pro and After Effects share RAM preview, so can see how the comp looks like in context before you actually need to render.

It's not perfect, but it's definitely a nice little extra to have.

Dennis

Return to posts index

Jim Bromley
on Aug 28, 2010 at 12:32:40 am

Just wanted to add that After Effects has a different default gamma curve than FCP. Movies exported from AE will appear darker when brought back into FCP, unless you go into the AE Project Settings and click the option boxes for Blend Colors Using 1.0 Gamma and Match Legacy. This might have been fixed since CS3, which I'm still using. If it has someone please let me know, but I know this drove me crazy for a few days once upon a time.

-Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]