FORUMS: list search recent posts

HALP! Pasting 29.97 into a 59.97 timebase timeline?!?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Herbst
HALP! Pasting 29.97 into a 59.97 timebase timeline?!?
on Aug 26, 2010 at 11:08:17 pm

I'm not even sure just how deeply, horribly screwed I am. Yet.

I've been working for weeks on a project -- dragged a clip into an empty timeline for starters, told it to match the timeline to the footage and never looked back. Somehow that one clip must have been 59.97. Amazingly, I've gone weeks without noticing or caring -- all my footage (shot at 29.97) goes in seamlessly and everything is completely fine. It's been a non-issue. Now I'm in the home stretch -- I duplicated a timeline from an old project (29.97 but I didn't even think about that) and built a new ending from its bones. I figured I'd cut and paste the two together and be done -- but of course pasting the clips from a 29.97 timeline into a 59.97 timeline makes everything go completely crazy, the clips are seemingly random because the timing information is all off by a factor of two. Aside from outputting my ending and dragging it in as a new clip (and having to make all tweaks in a separate timeline) does anyone know of a way to change the timebase of either project so I can cut and paste the two halves of my project together? My client does everything in 29.97 -- I'm looking forward to their expression when I hand over a timeline that won't be usable for them.

This is oddly reminiscent of the problem in the old days when you'd film on, say, betacam with a black and white eyepiece and only discover when you reviewed the tape that you'd had the white balance set incorrectly and all your footage is basically ruined. Here I thought I was just about done with my project, and now I won't be able to deliver! Auuuuugh!!!!!

Er... Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Matt Larson
Re: HALP! Pasting 29.97 into a 59.97 timebase timeline?!?
on Aug 27, 2010 at 5:17:09 pm

THis might work:

Make a dupe of your 59.94 seq.
"Select All" of your clips in that timeline.
"Cut"
Change the Seq. settings to 29.97.
"Paste"

2 x3Ghz Quad MacPro
9 GB RAM
Mac OS X 10.5.5
QT 7.5.5
FCP 6.0.5
AJA Kona 3 (6.0.1 drivers)
G-Speed XL 12 RAID

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>