FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixing 60p and 30p in the same timeline in Final Cut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Wilson
Mixing 60p and 30p in the same timeline in Final Cut
on Aug 26, 2010 at 9:33:33 pm

So.... I normally shoot in 720/60p (for slo-mo purposes). After realizing that 1080/30p is much better (what was I thinking... I barely even used the slo-mo!), I'm left with a small problem.

I started a project shooting in 720/60p and ended it and 1080/30p, not realizing until now when I was importing/transcoding.

So... what to do?

I'm guessing going into MPEG Streamclip and changing all the 720/60p to 720/30p. Is that the best way?

If so, are there any other things I have to do before exporting my final project? And I take it my final project (including my 1080/30p footage) will end up being 720/30p?

Thanks for the help....

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Mixing 60p and 30p in the same timeline in Final Cut
on Aug 26, 2010 at 9:44:58 pm

I don't think you have to worry about it. But you can run a test to confirm it.

Make a 720p 30 edit timeline. For both the timeline and in the footage in the browser, make sure the field ORDER (incorrectly called field dominance in FCP) is Set to none.

Now add footage of both rates and look at it on a monitor. I'm pretty sure happiness will ensue.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jordan Wilson
on Sep 23, 2010 at 7:22:34 pm

I did this.....

Set the sequence settings to 720/30

However, when I dragged my 1080/30 footage onto the timeline, the 1080/30 looked a bit choppy

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 23, 2010 at 7:33:30 pm

Well, what did you expect? You've got half the number of frames per second. Thus, you have half as much motion information. Of course it's going to look choppier than 60p.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gigi Harris
on Jan 14, 2011 at 8:27:12 am

I am not sure if this is where I post this, but it seems like this thread is addressing my issues. I shot a wedding using two cameras, a Sony HVR-Z5U and a Sony FX1000. I had them both set to 30P but didn't realize until importing that I had set the Z5U to shoot native 30P and the FX1000 shoots 30P Progressive scan. I captured as HDV30P and all seemed fine in FCP 6. But after my Drive crash and reinstall of operating system and upgrade to FCP7, the timeline calls for rendering now. I checked the info on the clips and thats when I realized that I have both types of 30P. So now I have decided to render as prores 422 to save time with this monster HDV footage. I know I should have captured as ProRes 422 but didn't know about it at the time and now I have 13 hours captured and I don't want to re capture. I am not sure of what sequence settings I should use. What are the general settings for this situation and the render settings. field dominance for native 30P I thought was none but 30 progressive scan says 1080 60i in the info so that is either upper or lower. I get so confused by all of this. I hope I have not been too confusing in my questions. If anyone has any advise, this old dog learning new tricks would really appreciate it.

gigih7

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]