FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP bad import of AVCHD footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Ellis
FCP bad import of AVCHD footage
on Aug 24, 2010 at 11:17:16 pm

Ok, we're back to this dreadful avchd project. My footage was imported in using log and transfer to prores 422. I then used extracted the 5.1 audio, and brought the resulting six mono wav files into fcp as well. However, the audio doesn't match the video. I checked and the timing for the audio and the video is off by 10 frames.

So I tried at first to change the duration of the audio by using an ext. editor. No matter what I do, it continues to be out of sync by several frames. So then I took the advice of an editor I know and tried instead to change the duration of the video. BTW, the original duration of the camera original before being imported in in fact matches the audio: 05:26:25.

So here are the actual screenshots of first the Item Properties-->Timing for the audio, and for the video. As you can see, off by 10 frames.

However, the third screenshot shows that upon opening the Duration dialog, it seems to think the video is actually 05:26:25 already! So it wont change it. Nor can I change it to anything else. When I do, I get a beep.

Help!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP bad import of AVCHD footage
on Aug 24, 2010 at 11:56:52 pm

A lot of important information is missing from this post. What is the frame rate of the original and does that match both the imported files and the sequence settings?

The seperate audio comes from where? Is it a broadcast wav with embedded timecode? If so does that match all the video settings?

The bottom line is the duration is likely to be casued by a mismatch somewhere with the video and audio timecodes. So check that they all match first and let us know these vital details please.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Ellis
on Aug 25, 2010 at 12:31:59 am

Hi, Michael--

Where would I find that information?

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Ellis
on Aug 25, 2010 at 12:34:20 am

BTW, I have been able to modify the duration of the audio from within FCP for four of tracks so that they are now in sync. But for the last 2 channels, I'm getting: "Unable to complete command. A conflict occurred during a trim operation."

This is getting really frustrating.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Ellis
on Aug 25, 2010 at 12:56:44 am

I'm not sure how to compare the frame rates of the video and the audio. In any case, here's all the rate properties:

Also, I did get the speed change on all the audio so it's in sync near the end, which is where some clapping takes place, but then it's still 3 frames out at the head :(

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 25, 2010 at 1:28:06 am

So far you have told us the frame rate of the captured video. Look at your sequence settings and tell us if the frame rate is also 29.97. Is it drop frame or non drop? All these little details matter.

I still don't know where the original audio came from and how you are importing it. Meanwhile search this forum for sync as Jeremy Garchow has often advised on a method for importing audio so that it correctly sets a frame rate that matches the sequence rate.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Ellis
on Aug 25, 2010 at 1:37:37 am

Yes, the sequence is set as 29.97.

The audio was exported out of Sony Vegas. And there it is in sync with the camera original.

This is what I found from Jeremy:

In all honesty, I don't really know. The speculation is that somehow, the audio gets 'tagged' as whatever frame rate FCP was launched in. So if you import the audio when FCP was launched and it was set to 29.97, the audio will somehow get tagged as 29.97, even if it has tc that tells it otherwise. So you have to reset the easy setup to the matching frame rate, then quit FCP, then relaunch FCP. The quitting and relaunching is crucial.

Sorry I don't have a "real" answer for why the hell this happens, but I hope it helps. It usually does with double system sound. If it doesn't work, something else may be happening.

I don't think this really can apply in this case, since the audio is just being dragged in as .wav mono files. I don't see that any import is taking place...?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 25, 2010 at 3:26:49 am

Import the files into FCP before putting them in the timeline. Also check with the Sony Vegas output if it was a broadcast wav file and if so, check the timecode type (drop or non drop) match.

Finally if the difference is about .1% over the duration of the clip, that is a clue to it being a timecode type difference.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Ellis
on Aug 25, 2010 at 5:37:49 am

I guess I'm not too good at the math. What is 10 frames over 5:26:25 work out to?

Return to posts index

Orysia Kucher
on Nov 11, 2010 at 4:56:32 pm

I am having a similar problem which is sincerely messing with my mind. I recorded sound separately through a mixer. I imported my HD Video file (Apple ProRess 422HQ 1440x1080) with .avi extension into FCP. I edited the audio in Soundtrack Pro to match the video and everything matched exactly. However when I export the audio from Soundtrack to my footage in FCP sequence it does not match. Not only that, but in my browser the file is actually 5 seconds shorter than the source file. I did not compress or cut anything hence I don't understand why the time code duration does not match in FCP to the source file. I'm assuming it has something to do with frame rate. Please help me. I would greatly appreciate any help possible! Thank you =)

Return to posts index

Affi Zeng
on Jul 4, 2011 at 2:04:20 pm

It is not possible to delete clips on an AVCHD volume, even if read-and-write permissions on the volume are set to allow file deletion. This behavior is different from that of P2 volumes, where clip deletion is allowed when proper read-and-write permissions are set.The Log and Transfer window shows only an average duration for AVCHD clips, especially clips longer than 1 minute. After clips are ingested, the correct duration is displayed in the Final Cut Pro Browser.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]