FORUMS: list search recent posts

converted avi files to qt - major problems

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
una morera
converted avi files to qt - major problems
on Aug 24, 2010 at 8:50:21 pm

Hi. I'm working on a mixed format sequence in fcp. I've got converted avi files to .mov files that I converted in Quicktime Pro. I've got h.264 files that we shot in hd format, that seem to go into fcp nicely. The avi files were shot on a 3 year old flip camera (ugh) and the h.264 files were shot on the new GO HERO camera. Both cameras that imho are trouble makers. I've got the sequence set to the converted avi files - 640x480, some of the frame rates on the converted files are 29.97 the others are 30 (not sure how that happened), so I set the sequence to 29.97. The audio settings are 44.1.
When I edit the footage together it jumps at the head of each shot with a image that came out of nowhere (when i go frame by frame the image is not there, when i watch it at normal speed it's there..). When I encode it to a self-contained movie, the entire film is out of sync. What the What?? Anyone have any solutions?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: converted avi files to qt - major problems
on Aug 24, 2010 at 9:42:33 pm

The basic strategy when using clips with different framerates and/or sizes is to convert them all to one codec - usually ProRes - and edit in a ProRes sequence. If you are trying to edit with H.264 you'll have trouble. It's not an edit codec. Also, audio should always be Linear PCM, 48kHz, 16 or 24 bit. Otherwise, you will have constant rendering. And, I suggest using Compressor for these kind of conversions. It can give you much greater quality than QT Pro, although, it will take considerably more time.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

una morera
on Aug 24, 2010 at 9:48:49 pm

Thank you for your quick response. Compressor can convert all these files to ProRes at a slower rate but better quality conversion than with quicktime pro? In kindness,
Una

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 25, 2010 at 2:13:27 pm

Yes, that's correct.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Paul Hillman
on May 5, 2011 at 9:15:44 pm

What codec are people using to edit footage from the GoPro HERO cam? I was hoping to transcode GoPro footage to ProRes-Proxy to lessen the file sizes (compared to ProRes 422), but I get this weird effect in Final Cut Pro with the transcoded files, where the footage looks good on playback, but when I stop the footage, the still image preview gets super contrasty. This makes me worried about issues later on in my workflow.

If I transcode the GoPro footage to ProRes 422 (not HQ), everything works normally in Final Cut Pro, but I'd like to have smaller file sizes since the original H.264 movies from the GoPro are 10x smaller than ProRes 422 and 3-4 times smaller than even ProRes-Proxy.

any tips?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 5, 2011 at 9:31:38 pm

I don't know about Proxy. I've never used it. I don't think it was intended as a high-quality edit codec. It's more for review purposes. Why not try ProResLT. You'll get smaller files with excellent quality. However, since you can purchase 1TB drives in the neighborhood of $50, why not use ProRes 422?

John

FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Return to posts index

Paul Hillman
on May 5, 2011 at 10:02:52 pm

I did try ProRes-LT, same issue. I can, and will, use ProRes 422 if necessary, just seems like a waste of digital space to create files 10x larger than the original. Even though ProRes and LT may not be as high quality as ProRes 422, they are both higher bitrate/quality that what the GoPro captures.

But if using ProRes422 is the best workflow, than so be it. I am still curious about the contrast (also notice pixelation) issue during playback stoppage in FCP. Seems odd.

thanks for the quick reply.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on May 5, 2011 at 10:12:51 pm

[Paul Hillman] " did try ProRes-LT, same issue. I can, and will, use ProRes 422 if necessary, just seems like a waste of digital space to create files 10x larger than the original"
That's a big mistake.
Whatever is the source you just will add more compression.

There is a kind of misconception on treating "lesser quality footage' (MiniDV, non-pro HD camcorders,mobiles, etc).
People thing because you start with a poor source you can compress it more:
BIG MISTAKE.
The worst is the source, the most care you have to take to get the most from that.
The best option for converting any kind of that stuff (8b/420) is 8b Uncompressed.
Of course that's not practical, so the option is Prores, just be aware that the most compressed Prores flavors will degrade your picture more than the less compressed.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 5, 2011 at 10:16:52 pm

ProRes is ProRes422. There are just the 5: Proxy, LT, 422, HQ & 4444. When using Compressor to convert H.264 files from Flips & other cams I always enable Frame Controls which adds time to the encode, but excellent quality as well. LT & 422 both make large files, but LT will be smaller. It's 102Mbps vs 147Mbps for 422.

John

FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Return to posts index

Paul Hillman
on May 5, 2011 at 10:35:03 pm

Must have had some settings wrong in MPEG Streamclip. The LT file has a bitrate of 45mbps, but when transcoded to LT using Compressor, the bitrate is 100mbps. However, I still got the strange contrast/pixelation issue in Final Cut Pro with either file.

John, willing to share your Frame Control settings for exporting LT through Compressor? :)

thanks,
paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]