FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting ProRes to recompress in Media Manager (FCP6)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Case
Getting ProRes to recompress in Media Manager (FCP6)
on Aug 24, 2010 at 8:20:35 pm

Hello -

I'm trying to recompress ProRes footage in FCP Media Manager so I can best multicam three G5 towers on a SAN. Each project has 7 cameras to multicam. Right now, even two computers are choking on the 7 streams, let alone three. I was counting on resompressing the ProRes into DVCPRO (or smaller) to enable these multiple editors to multicam the large data rate of ProRes. However, when attempting to set this up in Media Manager, FCP is telling me that the clip size will not change (shrink), regardless of what I re-compress it to (I've tried many formats). I'm currently using FCP6 and wonder if that's the issue. Just as a side note, when I attempt to recompress a DVCPRO HD clip, FCP looks like it will do it just fine. Its just the ProRes footage that's not showing me a smaller file size if recompressed.

SO...is there an issue in FCP6.0.6 regarding recompressing ProRes footage in Media Manager?

Thanks very much.

- Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Getting ProRes to recompress in Media Manager (FCP6)
on Aug 24, 2010 at 10:33:54 pm

Recompressing ProRes to what? FCP 6 only has one flavor of ProRes...it's FCP 7 that has ProRes LT and ProRes Proxy...that allow you to compress to lower data rate ProRes format. When you recompress to DVCPRO HD...you are going to a lower data rate format, that's why it works. But note that you lose lines of resolution...from a full raster format to an anamorphic format.

SO yes, there is an issue with FCP not being able to recompress ProRes to a lower data rate and remain ProRes. There is only one flavor of ProRes in FCP 6.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Case
on Aug 25, 2010 at 1:36:10 pm

I'd honestly like to recompress it to "anything" that will allow me to multiclip this ProRes footage, then upres it back to ProRes once done. I've been successful multiclipping 7 cameras in DVCPRO HD, so I thought I'd try that, then reconnect back to the ProRes once I'm out of multiclip world. But for some reason, FCP6 will not allow me to recompress this to "any" format, DV, DVCPRO, etc.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm doing a good job explaining myself. I want to edit all the multiclip stuff in a lower res format so I can use these 7 cameras. Then, relink back to the original ProRes footage after I've collapsed the multiclip. Does that make sense? If so, is this even the right process?

Thanks again.

- Matt

Return to posts index

Justin Ford
on Aug 2, 2011 at 10:46:48 pm

I am having this same problem in 7. Trying to recompress ProRes422 into ProRes422 Proxy just like in Shane's video, but my modified bar does not shrink, nor do my files after the process. What the heck?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 2, 2011 at 11:28:43 pm

Your clips all must have REEL numbers.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Justin Ford
on Aug 3, 2011 at 1:04:13 am

Thanks for response Shane. No go after giving reel numbers though. Still no shrinking no matter what setting I give it. Weird. I'm doing exactly what you did in your tutorial. Maybe FCP is goofed. Never had a problem before though.

Return to posts index

Juan Muñoz
on Jul 27, 2012 at 10:25:43 pm

A question here withe the Media Manager and the recompress process. I'm re compressing a very long multiclip editing (250GB) and I got a power out. Is there anyway to resume and continue from where it stopped? It was a 2 days Recomprress process :(

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]