FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio for bad computers

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kristin fraser
Audio for bad computers
on Aug 24, 2010 at 3:44:05 pm

Help. I have an intranet project for a client and most of their computers lack external speakers. Any suggestions on audio optimization (beyond the obvious of telling them to get external speakers if they want to send video on their intranet)?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Audio for bad computers
on Aug 24, 2010 at 6:09:21 pm

How do they monitor audio on their computers? I'm not sure I understand your question.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

kristin fraser
on Aug 24, 2010 at 7:26:01 pm

They use the crappy internal computer speakers.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 24, 2010 at 7:21:10 pm

I take it they are using the internal speaker on the computer in most cases. Ugh.

After editing, send your mix to Soundtrack Pro and use the compression filter(s) to reduce the dynamic range of the audio. There are some presets to get started, but you will probably want to compress a bit further to get it to sound ok on shitty speakers. Check what it sounds like on your internal speaker to get an idea. When you have something you can live with, go with it.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 24, 2010 at 9:44:28 pm

To make it sound a little better on a crap speaker, you will also make it sound crap on decent speakers. Don't go overboard with dynamics and EQ and check on better speakers to make sure you don't make it sound ordinary for those that bother to have better speakers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]