FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blown out Video Footage???

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Piggott
Blown out Video Footage???
on Aug 24, 2010 at 1:28:46 pm

Hi,

We just shot some footage with the Sony Z1. Some of it is over exposed and diffused. i have AE, FCP + Magic Bullet Looks and Colorista. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Blown out Video Footage???
on Aug 24, 2010 at 1:34:02 pm

Bill hourly.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 24, 2010 at 1:45:00 pm

Non-snarky answer, you're likely to have to approach this cleanup in layers, I think, with one pass dedicated to the hat and the other, to the rest of the frame. Hopefully the footage has little or no frame movement, but if it does, I might first edit the sequence, locking up the decisions for just how much of the footage is needed. No need to treat frames that won't be used. So just edit the exact footage you need plus some "handles" for transitions if needed. Next, motion-stabilize it, if it is wobbly, particulalrly if you intend to hand-roto this. Now start working on the color grading and adjustments, one layer for the hat, layer 2 for the rest. The multipoinht mask tool with some softened edges should be able to isolate the hat. Use opacity and blending modes to combine the results and then render that our as a reference movie. At least, this is what I would attempt.

I had some footage come to me recently from a golf tournament, where the shooters did nothing to treat the harsh noon time shadows under the subject's ballcap brim. A simple foam bozard sheet reflector would haev saved them, but they didn;t use it. I made an identical video layer, used the 8-point mask to mask the face under the hat, and I applied some 3-way color correction to that soft-edged mask, and mixed that layer back into the first layer using opacity and blend modes. Virtual fill reflector. Your problem is almost the exact reverse of mine; you are needing to dim down the hat and bring up the face that you can't see because the hat dazzled the shot and clamped the iris down. I'm not versed in Colorista, but if it has a "power windows" function that applies effects to masked areas, I think you have a chance to fix this.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Aug 24, 2010 at 2:25:27 pm

That actually looks like there's condensation on the lens.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Aug 24, 2010 at 3:11:58 pm

Condensation was my first thought as well. The problem extends out away from the hat so not sure if masking will make it look better or just set off the rest of the haze. Worth a try though.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Aug 24, 2010 at 5:28:19 pm

My suggestion would be to use Magic Bullet's Colorista II. Using two layers of Colorista II to fix the condensation on the lens first then the overall image second.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 24, 2010 at 6:22:34 pm

You might give a try to Captain's Blowout Filter. It works on the theory that not all color channels are necessarily over exposed. Even though the red channel may be blown out, the green channel may still contain good information. This plugin lets you substitute one channel for another in the over exposed areas and color correct it to match. There's a tutorial here for the filter. There are more free FCP plugins here.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Wayne Marx
on Aug 25, 2010 at 1:40:17 pm

This may be useful..

W.

Return to posts index

BJ Ahlen
on Aug 25, 2010 at 4:12:21 pm

Thanks for the C II video, nice presentation.

I agree on the lens condensation, that's an easy trap in Singapore if you take the camera out of an air conditioned hotel.

I remember having to bring a change of clothes just to cross the street... (I asked a local, "You live here, so you must have gotten used to the heat and humidity, right?" The short answer was, "No.")

Cars there have no heater controls at all, only A/C units that could make a Delco executive blush.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]