FORUMS: list search recent posts

"video pass-through" in Compressor?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricardo Guerreiro
"video pass-through" in Compressor?
on Aug 24, 2010 at 7:49:11 am

Hello.

I shoot a lot of wildlife. My camera does not have a pre-record buffer so in order to get the specific moment I want, say a Kestrel landing at the nest with food for the chicks, I leave the camera recording for long periods of time since most of these times I'm in a hide and cannot see the bird approaching. So I end up with, say, a five minute clip with just 30 seconds of relevant material at the end. In order to save hard-rive space, I'd like to "cut" this clips, the media files themselves, to my FCP in and out points. I can do this by, e.g., sending to Compressor and exporting using the original video settings of my camera and audio pass-through. Is there anyway of having Compressor doing not only audio pass-through but also "video pass-through" so that when I need to do this with new formats, I do not need to waist time creating a new custom setting of video codecs to match the source material? Is there any other way to just say to my computer "hey, throw all the media outside the in and out points away, please"? Would't this be a handy command? I mean, with the ratio I have of good bits of footage to all the footage I have, I would be saving lots of disk space.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: "video pass-through" in Compressor?
on Aug 24, 2010 at 8:29:24 am

What format is this? In both the capture window and the transfer window there are options for marking In and Out points so you only ingest what you need. That's where you should do it.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Ricardo Guerreiro
on Aug 24, 2010 at 8:49:04 am

Hi Tom and thanks for the reply.
I do not ingest or capture. My files are wrapped in .mov with XDCAM EX codec. As soon as they come out of the card they are ready for FCP's timeline. So, what I would like is to throw away the unecessary bits of media from these files. There is an option for audio in Compressor which is Audio pass-through which codes video using your chosen settings but leaves the audio just like in the original file. I was wondering if one can do just that but for video. I have been doing it with a custom preset in Compressor that I made myself, using audio pass-through and then XDCAM EX 720p60 for video as this is my camera's original codec. But everytime I need to do that with a different codec, I have to make a custom preset or choose from one of the Apple ones. I just wished there would be an option to simply cut out the bad bits. In other words, make a new media file, based on FCP's in and out points but keep both video and audio as the source clip has. Hence the "video pass-through" in inverted commas. This not a format. I was just making an analogy with the audio pass-through option.

Return to posts index

Stuart Simpson
on Aug 24, 2010 at 10:38:46 am

If you used XDCAM Transfer to import your footage before you got to Final Cut you could set in & out points on the rushes. That would allow you to import just the section you wanted. No transcoding involved. You could even do it straight from the cards.

-Stuart
7 MacPros - Kona 3, Kona LH & Kona LHi
1 G5 - Kona LH
xbox360, Wii, PSP, PS3
http://www.speak.co.uk

Return to posts index

Ricardo Guerreiro
on Aug 24, 2010 at 10:55:13 am

Hello Stuart, thanks for the answer.
I know that but most of the time, I only edit my stuff sometime later (usually months) from when it is shot. So the fastest and best way I have done till now is just save my files to the hard drive and then drag and drop them to FCP. I never use any transfer window or ingest plug ins. Not really familiar with that workflow. Maybe I should take a look at it and instead of drag and drop to FCP timeline, I could ingest and FCP wold create the "shorter" meda files on the scratch disk and I could then erase the original ones from where I saved them in the first place...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 24, 2010 at 11:01:37 am

Ricardo is obviously shooting with a JVC camera....the one that records direct to QT files. It is the only camera that shoots XDCAM as QT and allows drag and drop.

Open the file in QT. Navigate to the place you want to start. Press "I" to mark IN. Go to the end point...Press "O." Copy, then make a NEW QT file, paste. Save as self contained. There...new master file.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ricardo Guerreiro
on Aug 24, 2010 at 11:13:13 am

Hi Shane. Thanks... that's about it. Tried it already. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Aug 24, 2010 at 3:31:41 pm

Except that because its native XDCAM EX (Long GOP) the trimmed clips created in this fashion will in effect have a full generational loss. :-(

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 24, 2010 at 12:39:14 pm

[Ricardo Guerreiro] "So I end up with, say, a five minute clip with just 30 seconds of relevant material at the end. In order to save hard-rive space, I'd like to "cut" this clips, the media files themselves, to my FCP in and out points."

Instead of using Compressor, have you tried FCP's Media Manager?

You could set it to copy your media into a new project, deleting unused portions.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]