FORUMS: list search recent posts

HI-8 tapes & 1050P capture from Line Quadrupler

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris knific
HI-8 tapes & 1050P capture from Line Quadrupler
on Aug 24, 2010 at 3:12:48 am

So...

I've got about 100 home movies on HI-8 and I need to digitize them. I started last summer but the results were pretty bad with the sony hi-8 firewire player I have. Low-res, noisey and interlaced. Then I got an idea:

Hook up my HI-8 deck to my Faroudja V400 line quadrupler and then import the processed analog video into FCP. I believe the quadrupler outputs at 1050p through component video. I know I can never get more resolution out of the source's content, but you would be surprised with how this thing processes images. It cost about $10,000 or more back in the day and really works.

The unit is meant for home theaters, but since we upgraded to HD we don't need it anymore. I thought, if it could blow up NTSC onto a huge screen, what could it do in terms of upconverting old videos?

I am well aware that this will not fix many of the problems I'm seeing with these old tapes. But I've got a hunch that this will really pay off with the viewing experience some day. I don't want to spend any time deinterlacing or processing the videos later. I want to archive them at the best possible resolution and quality.

The problem here is that the resolution is strange. These will be 4:3 videos with 1050 progressive lines. AND i have to find some low cost A/D (component to USB or Firewire) converter that will accept it. Not to mention I'm not really sure how FCP will accept it. I'm willing to go with any other software solution. Like this:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/videorecorder/

I'm also willing to import these tapes in SD while still processing with the faroudja.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]