FORUMS: list search recent posts

Finishing Workflow for Mixed Frame Rates?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eddie Kesler
Finishing Workflow for Mixed Frame Rates?
on Aug 23, 2010 at 8:45:33 pm

I'm editing footage with two different frame rates. One is 23.98 1080psf shot on RED and the other is 29.97 1080i that was shot on 35mm and transferred to HDCAM for ingesting. It's about equal amounts of each. 2 - :30s and 2 - :15s. It will be deliverable both for air in HD and also for the web. Right now, I've been editing in ProRes 422 23.98 sequences and rendering the 29.97 footage in the timeline. The 23.98 footage is all bluescreen that is being combined with background graphics by a broadcast designer in After Effects. It's all in the offline stage, but I'll be conforming it soon and I have some questions about workflow.

1. I should be finishing in a 29.97 sequence and adding 3:2 to the RED footage if it's going to HDCAM for air, correct?

2. It is going to be color-corrected in Apple Color. There is a few repos on the RED footage. Should I ingest all the RED footage once the selects have been established at 2K, send it to Color and then back to FCP?

3. It will have to go to After Effects for compositing of about half the shots. Should I just go ahead and conform using AE instead of FCP? Seems I have more control of pulldown and frame rates in AE.

4. In the offline, the 29.97 footage has been a bit jerky on playback since it's in a 23.98 sequence. I did some 3:2 tests in AE and it was better, but still a bit jerky. Do I really need a plug-in like Twixtor or similar to smooth these shots out?

Thanks in advance,
Eddie

http://www.jamedit.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Finishing Workflow for Mixed Frame Rates?
on Aug 23, 2010 at 10:40:46 pm

Hire someone who knows how to do this. Mixing frame rates is NEVER recommended. Always convert to a uniform frame rate when editing. Or, if you can't, if you are doing an offline/online workflow (offline/online with mixed frame rates? MESSY!) then you need to separate out the media and online both separately, then convert one to the other. Figure out first what mastering frame rate you want.

GOOD quality frame rate conversions? Lots of steps. But this is something that you need to hand over to someone who knows what to do. Or, do a lot of trial and error to see if you can do it.

This is something that should have been addressed LONG BEFORE you edited. Shot film, transferred to HDCAM at 29.97? Why? WHy not 1080psf 23.98? Since you were going to shoot RED at 23.98?

Dug yourself a hole...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]