FORUMS: list search recent posts

Under 1k, does it matter what monitor I connect to my MBP?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Under 1k, does it matter what monitor I connect to my MBP?
on Aug 23, 2010 at 5:32:55 pm

I'm looking to buy a second monitor, one to connect to my MBP. Having spoken with a few people, I get the impression that, for under 1000 dollars - and I'm hoping to spend under 600 truthfully - it really won't make much of a difference what I use, that it won't be professional level anyway. Does this seem correct?

With that in mind, to edit HD footage, I'm thinking of buying this monitor:
http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VA2323wm-23-Inch-16-Digital/dp/B002R0JJYE/r...

anyone have any thoughts or experiences with it?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Under 1k, does it matter what monitor I connect to my MBP?
on Aug 23, 2010 at 5:51:33 pm

Do you want to use this monitor to have more real estate for your desktop or as a way to monitor HD video?

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Aug 23, 2010 at 5:53:32 pm

I want to monitor and edit HD footage

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 23, 2010 at 6:37:13 pm

It's more complicated than you think. To monitor HD you need a device like the Matrox MXO that takes the DVI signal from your MBP and turns it into viewable video. There's no way to get video to a monitor without such a device. And you need a high-quality monitor, too. There are other options to the MXO (I only mention that since at the beginning of my editing HD I used it with a Cinema 23 monitor). Here's an article by Shane Ross about the MXO.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Aug 23, 2010 at 6:46:05 pm

John,

Good stuff. Two questions:
1 - I currently use an external monitor I connect to my computer with a DVI cable. Even after reading that article, I'm unclear exactly what a device like the MXO does beyond improving image quality for the monitor (not that this unimportant. I just want to understand the technology better.)

2 - With an MXO box, would the screen I linked to be a viable option? I'm hoping to spend under 500 for a monitor, especially since, as I'm gathering from the link, I'll want an MXO box too.

thanks again. this is very useful for me,
noam

Return to posts index

Stephen Best
on Aug 23, 2010 at 6:59:10 pm

FWIIW, I'm using two ViewSonic VX2439wm monitors. 1920x1080, they handle 1080p video. For color correcting, I feed the HDMI Out from a Matrox MXO2 mini to the HDMI In on the 2nd monitor. I calibrate the monitor with the Matrox software, and I'm good to go.

The monitors are about $260 apiece and the MXO2 about $450.

It's not a $5,000 broadcast set up, but it gets the job done. Currently, I'm working on a project shot on XDCAM at 1080p.

Regards
Stephen Best
http://stephenbest.ca

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Aug 23, 2010 at 6:37:57 pm

I use the Dell model 2409 24 inch monitor and it works great. It only cost $199 late last year but not sure if it is still available. Check it out because it works great for my XDCAM EX footage.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 23, 2010 at 7:44:05 pm

The signal that comes out of the DVI port is a computer signal...RGB. It isn't meant for broadcast, it is designed for progressive computer displays. The Matrox MXO (the original) bypasses the graphics card processing COMPLETELY, extracting a raw YUV signal from the system. It then sends this to a broadcast TV, or it converts it so that a computer display...must be 23-24" for this to work...for a pixel for pixel mapping of the image. Tough to describe, but once you see the image the computer display gets just from the computer, and then what the MXO does...you'd be amazed.

The MXO is the ONLY way you will get a proper video signal from a computer onto a computer monitor. That runs $995.

Now, the MXO2 that was mentioned was the MXO2 MINI (the MXO2 has a lot more options), and that connects to a laptop via an Express34 adapter. I hope you have a laptop with this, or this won't work. With this, you can send out an HDMI signal to a good quality HDTV. $450 for the Mini, leaves $650 for a good...GOOD, not cheap chinsy...HDTV. Same calibration tools via HDMI that the MXO has via DVI.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]