FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clip Duration Difference

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Due
Clip Duration Difference
on Aug 23, 2010 at 3:26:02 pm

I had posted this in the Color Forum, but perhaps it should have been here:

I graded a series of shots and noticed that the renders were all one frame shorter than the original source. My source footage was supplied by an AVID editor as ProRes HQ 1080i 29.97. I rendered out AJA Kona 10-bit RGB @ 29.97 fps.

The weird thing is, I can open a source clip (ungraded clip) in QT Pro and it is always 1 frame longer than the rendered output from Color.

When I import the source clip in Color, it actually reads as 1 frame shorter than it really is. I also compared the files in After Effects and FCP - same result.

Anyone else come across this before? I know I could render handles, but I just want to know if there is a solution.

Robert Due
Editor / Colorist
INDEPENDENT EDIT

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Clip Duration Difference
on Aug 23, 2010 at 5:57:41 pm

[Robert Due] "When I import the source clip in Color, it actually reads as 1 frame shorter than it really is. I also compared the files in After Effects and FCP - same result."

How are you measuring it? In FCP, you have to back up one frame form the end to measure the correct out point, otherwise, you are including the next frame. The outpoint includes the frame you are seeing so if you have a clip in the timeline, mark in on the beginning of the clip, arrow down to the end of the clip, back up one frame, then mark out.

Using the keyboard shortcut 'x' will mark the ins and outs properly, but you have to know how autoselect works or have a very simple cuts only timeline.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Robert Due
on Aug 23, 2010 at 9:07:53 pm

Thanks for the response.

I am getting the TRT just from the duration column in FCP. And in Color, when I navigate to import the QT, it's showing up as 1 frame short as well.

I am wondering what is happening between the Avid side and the FCP side. Does that one frame get cut off? Repeated?

Robert Due
Editor / Colorist
INDEPENDENT EDIT

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 24, 2010 at 6:13:41 pm

[Robert Due] "I am getting the TRT just from the duration column in FCP"

Yes, but where is that outpoint marked? I think you need to dig a little deeper.

Return to posts index

Robert Due
on Aug 24, 2010 at 9:17:47 pm

"...dig a little deeper."

I appreciate your help, but literally I take the original clip from the Avid and the rendered clip from Color and import them in After Effects. The Avid clip is 3:14. The Color rendered file is 3:13. It has nothing to do with how it is on a time line. The file is SHORTER by one frame!

The same thing happens in QT Pro. Command "I" the files show the same results.

I give this to the Avid editor and he asks, "Why are all the renders one frame short?"

"I dunno?" doesn't cut it.

Robert Due
Editor / Colorist
INDEPENDENT EDIT

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 24, 2010 at 9:21:08 pm

[Robert Due] ""I dunno?" doesn't cut it."

It doesn't? Damn.

OK, so how did you get the files form Avid to Color? Avid can't compress to ProRes as far as I know. MC5 will AMA ProRes in, but at some point, it needs to be transcoded, right? Fill us in on the entire workflow.

Return to posts index

Robert Due
on Aug 24, 2010 at 9:32:32 pm

The files were exported out of the AVID as ProRes HQ 1080i @ 29.97. (Avid can play and create ProRes files now)

I created a new Color project and imported them individually. This is where the one frame difference begins. The "description" of the file in the Import dialog gives the TRT as 1 frame shorter.

Robert Due
Editor / Colorist
INDEPENDENT EDIT

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 24, 2010 at 9:37:43 pm

[Robert Due] "The files were exported out of the AVID as ProRes HQ 1080i @ 29.97. (Avid can play and create ProRes files now)"

Ok, so those exports, before you go in to Color or do anything else, do they match the in and out on the Avid timeline? Why not EDL? I would not trust Quicktime to give you an accurate report.

As far as Avid creating ProRes files, maybe through a custom export, but I don't think it's native to the suite. I know it can read ProRes, but not create. My best guesstimate is that this has nothing to do with Color, but it has all to do with how the media was created. This is just a guess.

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/86745/491525.aspx

http://c2.avid.com/forums/t/85856.aspx

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]