FORUMS: list search recent posts

EDL as cut list?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rodrigo Silvestri
EDL as cut list?
on Aug 23, 2010 at 6:49:52 am

Hi. I am going to start the color correction of a film. I need to use ProRes HQ to grade in Color (I could use the original format but it makes Color work too slow and I don't know if it'll cause stability issues).

As the sequence was edited using H.264 files, I cannot use Media Manager to cut them (and then convert only the used media to ProRes), so I decided to export the sequence to ProRes (through Compressor), then load it in FCP, cut it again, and then send it to Color.

I want to know if there is any way to do this automatically. I mean, I have a sequence currently linked to lots of giant H.264 files. I am exporting that sequence to a unique ProRes file. I am looking for a way to import that ProRes file to FCP and have it cut as the current H.264 sequence.
[The manual way of doing this would be to put the ProRes clip over the H.264 sequence (in another track) and look for every cut and cut it, and copy the transitions (which are a few, fortunately)]

Thanks,
Rodrigo Silvestri

--
Some people seem to love getting angry. I don't :)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: EDL as cut list?
on Aug 23, 2010 at 7:17:18 am

See what happens when you don't do things properly? Editing H.264 native. Bet that was fun. And now you see the folly of your workflow. Yes, I'm poking fun. Sorry. But this is something you need to figure out BEFORE you edit and get this far into it. You need to figure out "hmmm, does Color work with H.264 files?" And done a quick test and found out "why no, it doesn't!" And then converted all your H.264 to ProRes and edited that way. Or did the offline/online workflow with ProRes Proxy.

BUT, that's neither here nor there. You didn't, and now you are here.

The only way I know is to do this manually....the way you described. Step, razor, step, razor...etc. Remove ALL transitions. All of them. When you come back from Color you can copy and paste the H.264 sequence a layer above the final and drag down all the transitions. Just make sure you render out with enough handles.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Robb Hanson
on Sep 11, 2010 at 2:47:08 am

Was wondering if you could help. I am turing over a feature to Color and I edited in FCP at a 2048x1024. They are asking for 1920x1080 files. Do I need to change my sequence to 1920? If so, do I need to Render the green line, or remove all my mattes. Any help would be great, Thanks.

Return to posts index

matthew bradshaw
on Aug 23, 2010 at 8:42:38 am

Somewhere in the darkest reaches of my mind is a memory that Martin Baker of Digital Heaven was going to develop something that did this. It might be worth contacting him via his website. It would be interesting to find out if you have any success. You might also be able to do something by editing the edl. If you could change all the reel numbers to be the same reel using find and replace (maybe using wildcards?) you might be able to cut up your re-imported clip.
Matt.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Aug 23, 2010 at 12:22:26 pm

You can automate the razoring using a Macro that sends keystrokes for you.
(One if on my site, called 'videoMacro'

Another option is to use Recut (scene detection, xml roundtrip), also available on my site.

But what i don't get, why not Media Manage and recompress to Prores?
This does work normally for me...
(No idea why others say it won't work..)

If you don't have TC, you have to do entire clips.
But adding TC (in batch) is very easy with QTchange (download from my site)

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 23, 2010 at 2:33:25 pm

[Rodrigo Silvestri] "I am exporting that sequence to a unique ProRes file. I am looking for a way to import that ProRes file to FCP and have it cut as the current H.264 sequence."

You can use Color to notch a single clip with an EDL.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 23, 2010 at 7:06:09 pm

COLOR notches with an EDL? Wow...nice to know.

And I'm not sure why the Media Manager wouldn't work, like Bouke mentioned. It should work fine.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

matthew bradshaw
on Aug 23, 2010 at 8:40:32 pm

I found this ... http://documentation.apple.com/en/color/usermanual/index.html#chapter=2%26s...
... sounds just what you need.
Matt.

Return to posts index

Rodrigo Silvestri
on Aug 24, 2010 at 6:35:14 am

I did this before with other projects (most of them coming from AVID).
I tried so many things that now I don't remember what happened with each one. I know I sent the project to Color to then generate an EDL but it showed an error (when trying to export the EDL). This might be because there is some mixed footage, stills, etc. I want to kill someone :P

The problem here is that clips don't have reel names, so I cannot even export an EDL from FCP. I tried adding reel names but it seems that there is some other info missing.

I found this app, EDL Toolkit:
http://www.frogsoft.com/edl_toolkit.htm
which lets you edit EDLs and do a "Move record time to source time", which technically converts the EDL to a "cut list".
It is useful when the sequence is more "standard" and has reel names, TCs, etc.

I ended using my Logitech G13 keyboard to automate lots of CTRL-V, DOWN ARROW macros so I load the exported clip on top of the original sequence, press the button a few times and voilá (I then check everything is in place).
Then I have to add some shots I separated (for every cross dissolve), clean the tracks, and send to Color.

Works fine for now, already graded 25min ^^.

Thanks for everyone!
Rodrigo Silvestri

--
Some people seem to love getting angry. I don't :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]