FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble with 'size' of my project :(

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Anton
Trouble with 'size' of my project :(
on Aug 21, 2010 at 9:09:22 pm

Hi there, I really hope someone can help me out. Upon completion of my latest project I exported using quicktime conversion and noticed that the size of my video was all wrong, the final product (.mov file) was stretched lengthways and there was black space at the top and bottom of the window. I used the same settings I use every time I export (found here: http://vimeo.com/help/compression) so this puzzled me.
So I took a closer look at my project and noticed that in the "viewer" and the "canvas" it was at 74% when "fit to window". I opened up some older projects and noticed that when the viewer and canvas are fit to window its usually 24%. Which means all the clips in my latest project are somehow smaller? This is odd because I always shoot at the same resolution. I even double checked by opening some of the same clips in a new project and what do you know, they were at 24% when "fit to window", which is how it should be, right? So what I want to know is....at what point in my new project did all my footage shrink???? Why is it so much smaller? Did I accidently click something along the way that shrunk everything? Is there a way to fix this to get everything back to 1280 x 720 HD? I searched everywhere and cannot figure out what I could have clicked or what I could have done to get this wrong. Please help, thank you.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Trouble with 'size' of my project :(
on Aug 21, 2010 at 11:24:55 pm

So you are asking us to magically see what all your settings are?

What camera did you use, what are the clip settings, what are the sequence settings?

Return to posts index

Adam Anton
on Aug 21, 2010 at 11:39:13 pm

Sorry im new to this. Ive never changed any of the settings in final cut so I assumed it would be the same as the last video I made. I'm tryin to figure this prog out on my own so forgive me if I don't know off hand what info you need to help me.
Now that I have looked at the sequence settings in the new project, I see that its different to my others.
Old projects: 1920 x 1080, HDTV 1080i 16:9
New project: 720 x 480, NTSC DV 3:2

I'm guessing this is the problem? All the footage i've worked with was shot on a Canon 7D, same settings each time. What would make the sequence settings different from project to project if the clips you are using are all the same size. I just tried making a new project and using the same footage I was having trouble with and the sequence settings are 1920 x 1080 like it should be. Do you know what would have caused my last project to be 720 x 480? Also is it too late to save that project? Thanks again for your help.
Cheers
Adam

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 22, 2010 at 12:58:10 am

Settings just don't change, somewhere along the line you changed it. Assuming that it set correctly without checking at the start is dangerous.

But if you start a new sequence, just drag a clip from the 7D onto it, it was ask if you want to change the seq to match the clip, click yes. Delete the clip. Go to the old seq, select all, copy, then go to the new HD seq and paste all the edits. Select all the clips on the new seq, right clip> remove attributes> Basic Motion and Distort.

Return to posts index

Adam Anton
on Aug 22, 2010 at 1:40:56 am

Thanks Michael, i'll try that. I think I know where the settings changed. I imported a clip from another camera yesterday, forgot about that, It must have changed the seq settings. Anyway thanks again.

Return to posts index

Adam Anton
on Aug 22, 2010 at 2:19:26 am

Sorted! It worked. Thanks again Michael. I'll keep my eye on that seq setting from now on. Its simple things like this that cause the world of problems when you try to figure these programs out on your own without proper lessons. I wish I had the chance to take some. Anyway thanks again. By the way, if you feel like explaining (if you don't I won't take offence, I understand if you don't have the time) exactly what "remove attributes > Basic Motion and Distort" did? I tried copying and pasting into a new seq earlier and it did not work for me, so that 'remove attributes' must have made the difference.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 22, 2010 at 8:05:41 am

When you dropped your HD clips into a SD timeline FCP will resize them to make them fit and change the pixel aspect ratio. When you paste the clips back into the new HD timeline they will still be resized, the remove attrib. removes this and returns it to normal.

Return to posts index

Adam Anton
on Aug 22, 2010 at 3:56:59 pm

cheers Michael! ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]