FORUMS: list search recent posts

GoPro 1080i mp4 Issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Clay
GoPro 1080i mp4 Issues
on Aug 20, 2010 at 4:52:43 pm

Recently I've started working with a couple GoPro HD cameras and I've been having some issues with editing in final cut.

Some clips are jerky in playback no matter what I do.

First, the manual says that the GoPro Hero shoots 1080p 30fps, although when I bring them into FCP or MPEG Streamclip they are 1080i.

I've tried converting in both FCP and MPEG Streamclip with a variety of settings, and each time it still comes out a bit jerky.

I've mostly been trying variations of Apple ProRes 422 and 422 HQ, or DVCPRO HD.

Almost all of the shots I am having problems with are shots where someone is either crossing frame, or standing up into frame. Is it possible that this is something with the camera, not the codec? Would shooting at 60fps help?

Thanks,
Steve

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: GoPro 1080i mp4 Issues
on Aug 20, 2010 at 8:31:31 pm

surely you aren't editing in the h264 codec? I use this camera all the time...I transcode to ProRes Proxy, then edit.

Also, you are saying 1080i...but the gopro doesn't shoot interlaced...it's progressive (I believe it's Psf)

(check out this video I shot of my kids with the GoPro)

Return to posts index

Steve Clay
on Aug 20, 2010 at 8:44:16 pm

The reason I said 1080i is because when I bring the raw GoPro footage into FCP, the sequence settings automatically change to 1080i. Also it has upper field dominance and I was under the impression that progressive video does not have a field dominance at all.

I'm not editing with H.264. I'm still trying to figure out proper settings to make the video play smooth in quicktime OR FCP.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Aug 21, 2010 at 2:21:02 am

[Steve Clay] "when I bring the raw GoPro footage into FCP, the sequence settings automatically change to 1080i." First off, 1080i is the frame size, and it's a bit antiquated language...check the setting below that that says "field dominance". That should say "none"

And, this may just be my workflow...but FCP isn't a program that is going to read this kind of information from a compressed video file very accurately.

If you transcode the footage through compressor, you can do a "pass-through" of all these settings. (frame size, frame rate, field dominance) if you just set compressor to transcode to ProRes (I use proxy because the bit rate is close to the source bitrate) and do a "same as source" on all the aforementioned parameters...that will give you an accurate "editable" file to take into FCP and have the sequence match.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Jean Le Breton
on Nov 19, 2010 at 8:09:55 pm

hi

I just read you post and I'm interresing with your setting about compressor because I have the same problem with the gopro footage in finalcut I get 1080i

can you tell us the setting you use in compressor

thank in advance

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Nov 19, 2010 at 8:46:41 pm

It's very basic, In compressor:

Encoder:

File Format - Quicktime Movie

Video settings - Enabled- Apple ProRes 422 (LT)

Frame Rate: 29.97

Audio Settings - Enabled - PCM Stereo 48khz - Little Endian

Frame Controls:

Off

Geometry:

100% of source

Hope that helps...

-Jason

Return to posts index

Jean Le Breton
on Nov 19, 2010 at 9:35:35 pm

thank for your quickly reply

I test your setting

but I have another question when I import my footage to compressor I get in the A/V attributs windows native field : upper field first I don't know why if the footage of gopro is progressive I must get this information

have you the same thing

sorry for my english and thank you for your help

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Nov 20, 2010 at 1:27:43 am

[Jean Le Breton] "but I have another question when I import my footage to compressor I get in the A/V attributs windows native field : upper field first I don't know why if the footage of gopro is progressive I must get this information "

I hadn't ever taken a look at this, but I just did and some 1920 footage I shot awhile ago came in the AV attributes as "bottom field first" -- which doesn't even make sense, because HD is UFF.

Either way, the gopro footage ISN'T interlaced...so it's a moot point. If you set field dominance on footage that doesn't have fields...it doesn't do anything.

-jason

Return to posts index

Jean Le Breton
on Nov 20, 2010 at 10:40:27 am

ok if I understand what you explain, there are no difference if I let attributes as "bottom field first" for convert my film the result will be the same of progressive

A friend of me try to avid media composer and the same result the attributes are "bottom field first"

the only for the moment I have found is to change in compressor the native footage attributes to "progressive" and after that in finalcut the video parameter as no frame

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 20, 2010 at 10:39:33 am

[Jean Le Breton] "
but I have another question when I import my footage to compressor I get in the A/V attributs windows native field : upper field first I don't know why if the footage of gopro is progressive I must get this information "

This is a matter of how the applications identify the footage.
But this is an issue for you to address because YOU know that the footage is Progressive.
I would recomend you to use MPGStreamclip.
Make a plain transcoding keeping all the original setting but the codec (Prores).
In MPGStreamclip, treat the stuff as Progressive.
Conform your p30 to p29,97 with CinemaTools.

[Jason Brown] "
Frame Rate: 29.97

Audio Settings - Enabled - PCM Stereo 48khz - Little Endian

Frame Controls:

Off
"

I don't see much convenient changing the Time-base while having the "Frame Control: OFF".
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jean Le Breton
on Nov 20, 2010 at 11:49:52 am

This is a matter of how the applications identify the footage.
But this is an issue for you to address because YOU know that the footage is Progressive.
I would recomend you to use MPGStreamclip.
Make a plain transcoding keeping all the original setting but the codec (Prores).
In MPGStreamclip, treat the stuff as Progressive.
Conform your p30 to p29,97 with CinemaTools.

hi!
I try with mpegstreamclip but when you import your footage you will see in field dominance "upper field first" and you can not select progressive only lower field first another thing as you can see in gopro web site the interlaced scaling is select in mpegstreamclip

just i can say now for the moment I don't see any difference if I let setting "upper field first" or progressive with compressor"

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 20, 2010 at 9:17:13 pm

Change the field order (incorrectly referred to as "field dominance") of your FCP edit timeline to None. Make sure it's set the same way on your footage in the FCP broswer. If you still have the ProRes footage in the edit timeline, happiness should ensue. Okay, you may have to replace the clips in the timeline for the changes to take effect.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 21, 2010 at 12:22:03 am

[Dave LaRonde] "Change the field order (incorrectly referred to as "field dominance") of your FCP edit timeline to None. "
And also check all the stuff as NONE in the Browser.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Oscar Gotti
on Dec 16, 2012 at 7:36:52 pm

Hello,

Why does it matter to put the clips as 'None' in the browser? Surely all it needs is for the sequence settings to be field dominance 'None'?

Oscar

Return to posts index

David Roche
on Aug 21, 2010 at 5:54:57 pm

Check out this from GoPro's website - Importing & Exporting GoPro Video in Final Cut Pro 7.0:

http://www.goprocamera.com/tips/fcp.php

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]