FORUMS: list search recent posts

upgrade confusion...da graphics card...AND VENTING!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tad newberry
upgrade confusion...da graphics card...AND VENTING!
on Aug 19, 2010 at 5:38:57 pm

well, my new RAM came today - thanks for the recommendations...and my new MSI ATI 5770 card came too! (but it don't work in no Macintosh kumpyeter...)

yes, i guess i'm seeing that i'm too stupid to be an editor

called MSI, they don't make a card for Mac. called back NewEgg (from whence i ordered - overnighted! - these items) and, of course, they don't give tech advice. called mac...and found that their website specs for MY quad core (early 2009 2.66 Xeon) is not even listed on the mac page anymore...and the 5770 (that IS on the Mac Pro page) apparently won't work in my system...so he told me about the ATI Raedeon 4870...but couldn't exactly tell me if EVERY 4870 (ASUS, Diamoned, etc.) out there works in MY MAC...

sorry guys, but i'm terribly frustrated, had to vent somewhere (my wife understands all this FAR less than me, so it doesn't help to tell her at all!) and would REALLY like to get a new graphics card for MY MAC, and having a heck of a time getting a clear answer.

to top it off, i've been trying to contact Apple Legal Dept for the past couple weeks about some simple info: getting composer and publisher info for Apple Loops for music cue sheets for networks. talked with my 6th apple person today about it...and forwarded the email on to him and the other legal dept contacts. at this point, the music cue sheet will just say "royalty free" and "contact Apple Computers for further information."

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

2.66 GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro
3GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: upgrade confusion...da graphics card...AND VENTING!
on Aug 19, 2010 at 6:04:14 pm

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/displays?n=g...

Compatibility is listed. The 4870 is PCI 2.0, not sure if your computer has that.

Macs have specific cars with specific drivers. It's a hard component to upgrade.

I would search for "Mac Graphics cards" and see what you come up with.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Aug 19, 2010 at 6:59:23 pm

yeah check and make sure it is mac compatible.

not all of them will work as you found. I read somewhere it has to do with the bios/firmware on the card itself.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 19, 2010 at 8:45:09 pm

This is really a case of you not doing your homework. If your system does not have PCI 2. slots the Mac versions of the PCI 2 ATI cards will still work, but they are not supported so you install them at your own risk. Some non-Mac PCI graphic cards can flashed to work, but they have to have the Mac counter part (from what I've read) but this is also a do it at our own risk thing. But by gambling you can save money and get a fast card than what is in spec, but it is a gamble and they don't always pay off. But if you want to be safe you go to a place like Macsales,com, look up graphic cards for your computer and they tell you what is available. You put that in your system.

But your rant is like if I order a Nissan part from Napa and complained that it didn't work in my Honda.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Aug 19, 2010 at 9:13:09 pm

If you want to make sure you order parts that are made for the mac, go to macsales.com (Other World Computing).

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]